There are 168 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, 2024 Cap Room=$55,944,326 as of 10/5/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ah ha.

What's the difference?

This is a good walkthrough: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-total-guarantees-vs-full-guarantees-and-the-ways-contracts-should-be-evaluated/
All these moves. At first I figured they were just getting ahead of the salary cap squeeze. Now I have no idea. That's a lot of money to free up just to rollover.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Ah ha.

What's the difference?

This is a good walkthrough: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-total-guarantees-vs-full-guarantees-and-the-ways-contracts-should-be-evaluated/

thanks. Wish the term "guarantee" was used for "full guarantee" and "practical guarantee" for "guarantee"
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
The only way Burns works is as a rental.

He plays and then we somehow extend and trade.

I just don't see it. That'll be extremely difficult to pull off with only one year on his deal.
of course it would be a rental.. now chase young.. Try to keep
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I just don't see it. That'll be extremely difficult to pull off with only one year on his deal.

Extend and trade? This isn't the NBA, I would take Young as a rental but that fool already is hurt with a neck injury where he's already going to miss games. You can probably get him for a 5th with all his damn injury history and then get a 3rd comp pick if there's a stupid team out there who's going to sign him for a huge deal.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Extend and trade? This isn't the NBA, I would take Young as a rental but that fool already is hurt with a neck injury where he's already going to miss games. You can probably get him for a 5th with all his damn injury history and then get a 3rd comp pick if there's a stupid team out there who's going to sign him for a huge deal.
Extend trade for Burns? No we rent him, then let him walk.. unless he wants to sign for cheap

i didn't see/hear about the CY injury, might be even easier to get
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 9, 2023 at 7:10 PM ]
what about sweat
what about sweat
i don't think he's on the clearance rack or open box shelf type of deal we can afford
Extend trade for Burns? No we rent him, then let him walk.. unless he wants to sign for cheap

Panthers will want atleast a 1st and a 2nd and even that might not be enough to get him. And you are not giving up that for a 1 year rental which is why this trade will never happen.
Originally posted by JTB1974:

Panthers will want atleast a 1st and a 2nd and even that might not be enough to get him. And you are not giving up that for a 1 year rental which is why this trade will never happen.
we gave up less for a better player in CMC
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 9, 2023 at 9:21 PM ]

with money that someone will need to pay Burns, I don't think the Panthers will get a 1st. Probably a second and mid-round pick
Originally posted by 49Problems:
with money that someone will need to pay Burns, I don't think the Panthers will get a 1st. Probably a second and mid-round pick

If the report that the Rams offered two future 1sts and a 2nd last season are true, then the Panthers are dumb for not taking it.
I don't expect a big time trade target. We may just have it to roll over next year and/or in case a great player comes along. I wouldn't expect us to make a big splash. We are like $40M in the hole next year - could just be getting ahead of it and/or positioning ourselves for an expected player to come available
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
All these moves. At first I figured they were just getting ahead of the salary cap squeeze. Now I have no idea. That's a lot of money to free up just to rollover.

This kind of talk gets me excited.

I wish they would come out and say hey we are pursuing a trade I just can't tell you who right now.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I don't expect a big time trade target. We may just have it to roll over next year and/or in case a great player comes along. I wouldn't expect us to make a big splash. We are like $40M in the hole next year - could just be getting ahead of it and/or positioning ourselves for an expected player to come available

some of this cap management saves money next year too. I think one of the moves earlier this week knocked 10 or so million off next year too.

Either getting someone good or knocking 30m off of future payments to Bosa by front loading him would be great.

I am not real sure how all that works, but it would be great if there was a way to pay Bosa an extra 30m this year and save even 6m a year over the next 5 years would be a win.
Share 49ersWebzone