and I wouldn't cut him either way, he'll be back for playoffs

Assuming we make the playoffs.

Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Thinking for cap reasons we cut Dre and Juice

don't think they can cut Dre if he's hurt

convo about it from front page while back:

The injury could present a challenging (and potentially uncomfortable) situation for the 49ers, who face some tough salary-cap decisions. Greenlaw is likely to miss a significant portion, if not all, of the upcoming season. Yet, he is slated to earn $8.7 million in base salary and bonuses, with a corresponding $9.6 million cap hit in 2024, per OverTheCap.com.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, "None of that money is guaranteed, but if he's still on the roster on April 1, $2.5 million of it becomes guaranteed."

Graziano further explains that Greenlaw is entitled to $2.1 million in guaranteed compensation via the Collective Bargaining Agreement-mandated injury protection if the 49ers release him after he fails to pass that physical—a certainty.

"Releasing Greenlaw before April 1 would save the Niners $6.806 million in cap space," Graziano notes, adding that the $2.1 million injury protection would not affect the team's salary cap until after the season.

The ESPN reporter admits that releasing Greenlaw would be viewed as a harsh and unsympathetic move by the organization. Understandably, the 49ers have been pleased with the veteran linebacker's play on the field. He has recorded 247 tackles over the past two seasons.

As an alternative, Graziano suggests a more favorable option—a contract restructuring that aligns with Greenlaw's current health status, reducing his financial impact in 2024 by deferring much of the money to future years.

Graziano emphasizes, "I don't want to be accused of writing 'Niners should/will cut Greenlaw,' but it must be pointed out that his deal offers them a chance for some easy cap savings that might not hurt them on the field in 2024."
You can't always restructure because all you are doing is deferring 2024 income to the next year, increasing problems in the future. At some point the bill comes due.

The injury could present a challenging (and potentially uncomfortable) situation for the 49ers, who face some tough salary-cap decisions. Greenlaw is likely to miss a significant portion, if not all, of the upcoming season. Yet, he is slated to earn $8.7 million in base salary and bonuses, with a corresponding $9.6 million cap hit in 2024, per OverTheCap.com.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, "None of that money is guaranteed, but if he's still on the roster on April 1, $2.5 million of it becomes guaranteed."

Graziano further explains that Greenlaw is entitled to $2.1 million in guaranteed compensation via the Collective Bargaining Agreement-mandated injury protection if the 49ers release him after he fails to pass that physical—a certainty.

"Releasing Greenlaw before April 1 would save the Niners $6.806 million in cap space," Graziano notes, adding that the $2.1 million injury protection would not affect the team's salary cap until after the season.

The ESPN reporter admits that releasing Greenlaw would be viewed as a harsh and unsympathetic move by the organization. Understandably, the 49ers have been pleased with the veteran linebacker's play on the field. He has recorded 247 tackles over the past two seasons.

As an alternative, Graziano suggests a more favorable option—a contract restructuring that aligns with Greenlaw's current health status, reducing his financial impact in 2024 by deferring much of the money to future years.

Graziano emphasizes, "I don't want to be accused of writing 'Niners should/will cut Greenlaw,' but it must be pointed out that his deal offers them a chance for some easy cap savings that might not hurt them on the field in 2024."

Interesting.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Interesting.

Amen brother it doesn't get more interesting than contract details
Saw Warner restructured to create 10m in savings.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WINiner:
Saw Warner restructured to create 10m in savings.

George Kittle and Javon Hargrave also restructured saving close to $16 million in cap space.

Why is "Field Yates" always quoting AB to steal his thunder?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
George Kittle and Javon Hargrave also restructured saving close to $16 million in cap space.

When such things happen I always think about a big splash signing or trade.
Can there be other reasons to do it now?
They already released Armstead to help sign the rookie class.

Is this premature to have such toughts? Other reasons for that?
[ Edited by 49ersFan_vienna on Mar 15, 2024 at 8:46 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

I think part of it was to make room to officially sign Floyd
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say a big splash signing is about to happen, I don't think there's even big splash signings to be made. There could be a couple signings like Justin Simmons and De'Vondre Campbell, but is that really considered big splashes or B tier??

I wouldn't say a big splash signing is about to happen, I don't think there's even big splash signings to be made. There could be a couple signings like Justin Simmons and De'Vondre Campbell, but is that really considered big splashes or B tier??

Simmons is probably as "splashy" of a free agency signing as it gets at least at this point. He has multiple Pro Bowls/All-Pros and got multiple first place All-Pro votes this season.

Only thing "splashier" would be a trade for Sneed or something.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Mar 15, 2024 at 9:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone