LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 231 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I will go with HOF eventually. Not a 1st ballot for me though.

I WANT to say 1st, but I agree with you.
Originally posted by jrg:

He'll get in on name alone, but honestly, you can make a strong case that he isn't a HoFamer. Though I think he gets in eventually but shouldn't be the first few years
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

He'll get in on name alone, but honestly, you can make a strong case that he isn't a HoFamer. Though I think he gets in eventually but shouldn't be the first few years

This. Really he is a just a great defensive player and average hitter. Catchers get a bonus for longevity I guess.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

This. Really he is a just a great defensive player and average hitter. Catchers get a bonus for longevity I guess.

I think he is better than just an average hitter. He has a .284 lifetime batting average over 15 years which, for a catcher, is pretty elite. It certainly wouldnt be enough to get him in the HOF if he wasn't great defensively but he is one of the best behind the plate. Plus, a career of that many years with just one team is pretty special in today's world

Weve never seen a catcher get in primarily because of defense before. Its usually guys like Piazza, Carter, Fisk, etc.

I think he gets in eventually, but it'll take a long time. Defensive ability is a reputation that ends up fading in peoples minds, and there will be a whole generation of great hitters that will be in line ahead of him.
I think he is better than just an average hitter. He has a .284 lifetime batting average over 15 years which, for a catcher, is pretty elite. It certainly wouldnt be enough to get him in the HOF if he wasn't great defensively but he is one of the best behind the plate. Plus, a career of that many years with just one team is pretty special in today's world

no player should get credit that another position doesnt get. Bottom line is you could name 50 players who were wayyy better hitters than Yadi not in the HOF.

Originally posted by Niners99:
Weve never seen a catcher get in primarily because of defense before. Its usually guys like Piazza, Carter, Fisk, etc.

I think he gets in eventually, but it'll take a long time. Defensive ability is a reputation that ends up fading in peoples minds, and there will be a whole generation of great hitters that will be in line ahead of him.

Well its the HOF. It doesnt have to be about hitting only. If Yadi's defense was that elite that it made that much of an impact, which I think you can say, then maybe its time to recognize defense if the career has that kind of longevity. He has plenty of hardware to back it up.

I think he is well respected. I don't think it will take as long as you think. I think he gets in pretty easy after a couple years.

no player should get credit that another position doesnt get. Bottom line is you could name 50 players who were wayyy better hitters than Yadi not in the HOF.

Originally posted by Niners99:

Well its the HOF. It doesnt have to be about hitting only. If Yadi's defense was that elite that it made that much of an impact, which I think you can say, then maybe its time to recognize defense if the career has that kind of longevity. He has plenty of hardware to back it up.

I think he is well respected. I don't think it will take as long as you think. I think he gets in pretty easy after a couple years.

I disagee on this one Rubs. Catching everyday like Yadi has done for 15 years takes a huge toll. Obviously catchers numbers arent going to be the same as 1B numbers. In my opinion, SS and C are the 2 positions where defense should be highly considered along with the offensive numbers. Ozzie Smith as a .262 hitter and is in the HOF. Voters certainly took his position and his defense into consideration.
I disagee on this one Rubs. Catching everyday like Yadi has done for 15 years takes a huge toll. Obviously catchers numbers arent going to be the same as 1B numbers. In my opinion, SS and C are the 2 positions where defense should be highly considered along with the offensive numbers. Ozzie Smith as a .262 hitter and is in the HOF. Voters certainly took his position and his defense into consideration.

Ozzie had a "human highlight film" quality though. I think catcher D is pretty unglamorous, so its less likely to be elevated in peoples memory. Molina will go down as probably the best defensive C ever, but that doesn't carry the same nostalgic memory as positions in the field like CF, SS, or 3B, where people will remember all these amazing diving plays to rob hits.

This article kind of goes over why Molina's HOF case isnt that great, and it was published before he stopped winning the GG every year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/yadier-molina-baseball-hall-of-fame-chances-stats-cardinals/x0mcav2e5xel1tv3a42toff6y

Then why did Piazza have such great numbers? He played forever also. You are just giving him a pass because he caught, when there are actually a lot of catchers in the HOF with solid offensive numbers.
My Dude Andruw Jones needs to be in the HOF if Yadi is

Best defensive CF OF ALL TIME

Then why did Piazza have such great numbers? He played forever also. You are just giving him a pass because he caught, when there are actually a lot of catchers in the HOF with solid offensive numbers.

ROIDS OBVIOUSLY

ROIDS OBVIOUSLY

Damn, Bench took roids also? and Berra Fisk?

Not from guys Ive seen play. Only 5 that are in the HOF..... Bench, Fisk, Pudge, Carter, and Piazza. Now, I know you saw Bill Dickey and Mickey Cochrane so you do have more to go by.

Are you actually saying that catching doesnt affect hitting numbers by that statement?

Not from guys Ive seen play. Only 5 that are in the HOF..... Bench, Fisk, Pudge, Carter, and Piazza. Now, I know you saw Bill Dickey and Mickey Cochrane so you do have more to go by.

Are you actually saying that catching doesnt affect hitting numbers by that statement?

Not all all. But I am saying you shouldnt get a pass for hitting just because you caught.

I am also asking if the hall needs to start looking at value other than hitting. Maybe Yadi deserves to get in because he was such a good catcher. Hell, we all know David Ortiz will get in and he didnt even play defense. Hell, pitchers can't hit and they get in. (now that f**ker used roids)

ROIDS OBVIOUSLY

Damn, Bench took roids also? and Berra Fisk?

Different types of hitters obviously. Bench was a lifetime .267 hitter. Fisk .269. Much stronger power hitters than Yadi.
Share 49ersWebzone