LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 271 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I disagee on this one Rubs. Catching everyday like Yadi has done for 15 years takes a huge toll. Obviously catchers numbers arent going to be the same as 1B numbers. In my opinion, SS and C are the 2 positions where defense should be highly considered along with the offensive numbers. Ozzie Smith as a .262 hitter and is in the HOF. Voters certainly took his position and his defense into consideration.

Then why did Piazza have such great numbers? He played forever also. You are just giving him a pass because he caught, when there are actually a lot of catchers in the HOF with solid offensive numbers.

ROIDS OBVIOUSLY

Damn, Bench took roids also? and Berra Fisk?

Different types of hitters obviously. Bench was a lifetime .267 hitter. Fisk .269. Much stronger power hitters than Yadi.

and 2k+ hits and a lot of RBIs. Much more power. But back then you got in with 350+ HRs and 2K hits.
Then why did Piazza have such great numbers? He played forever also. You are just giving him a pass because he caught, when there are actually a lot of catchers in the HOF with solid offensive numbers.

Not from guys Ive seen play. Only 5 that are in the HOF..... Bench, Fisk, Pudge, Carter, and Piazza. Now, I know you saw Bill Dickey and Mickey Cochrane so you do have more to go by.

Are you actually saying that catching doesnt affect hitting numbers by that statement?

Not all all. But I am saying you shouldnt get a pass for hitting just because you caught.

I am also asking if the hall needs to start looking at value other than hitting. Maybe Yadi deserves to get in because he was such a good catcher. Hell, we all know David Ortiz will get in and he didnt even play defense. Hell, pitchers can't hit and they get in. (now that f**ker used roids)

I wouldnt say Molina should get in if he was a .250 hitter who bounced around on several teams. He has been a very solid hitter, one of the greatest defensive catchers ever, and played for the same team his entire career. To me, that is enough to get in the HOF.

Damn, I feel like I am JRG right now. LOL
I wouldnt say Molina should get in if he was a .250 hitter who bounced around on several teams. He has been a very solid hitter, one of the greatest defensive catchers ever, and played for the same team his entire career. To me, that is enough to get in the HOF.

Damn, I feel like I am JRG right now. LOL

wait...I already said he will get in. lol

I am just saying you can make the case he shouldn't be (actually just agreed with skeet on that and the article 99 posted). The same team thing is cool for fans, but shouldnt have anything to do with the HOF.
The more I think about it the more I think that no one with neck tattoos should be in the HOF anyway.
The more I think about it the more I think that no one with neck tattoos should be in the HOF anyway.

I assumed that was included in the article 99 posted. If not, it should be.

Thats what im sayin.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in but don't think he will. If Jim Edmonds, Andruw Jones ... etc can't even get close, Yadi won't either. Defensive stuff has historically been a secondary case. You've got to have a main case to make it count.

People, right or wrong, will look at his career numbers and move on. Remember their votes are limited and there's always a back log. The guy won't get to 1000 RBI nor runs, won't get to 200 HRs and his rate stats are merely good for his time but terrible for HOF consideration.

He was great but currently has 611 runs scored, 132 HRs and 802 RBI. That's terrible, even compared to catchers.

Look at Benito Santiago for a recent comparison. 3 GG, 5 All-Stars, 1830 hits, 755 Runs, 217 HR, 955 RBI with similar slash lines. Got 0.2% and fell off the ballot first year. Has Molina done so much better to get 74.8% more for the HOF?

He'll likely stick around on the ballot for years but never get up to the 75% needed. I see him coming in at 15% and slowly climbing to the 30s before timing out.
lol jrg must be busy right now.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
I should note, I don't have a problem with him getting in. I think defense is undervalued historically. That's mainly because you have to watch a ton of baseball to get an idea for it and even then it's iffy and open to bias. It's only recently that we can try to truly measure it.

I'm not sure if vote for him but I've always leaned stricter than most. He's one of those I may not vote for but wouldn't be upset if others did.

He's also only 35. He can do a lot to solidify his case still. Say he plays till 40. He could very well add 600+ hits in that scenario. That would give the counters something to point at offensively. He'd likely get to 3rd all-time in hits by a catcher.

As of now, he has less WAR than Jason Kendall who fell off after 1 year with 0.5%.
Got Mookie and Pollock on my team

I am impressed with some of the opinions in here. I assumed when I started reading that Yadi's HOF case was brought up that I would get into arguments with a ton of people thinking he is a first ballot, sure HOF, etc. Bottom line, Yadier Molina's HOF case is 100% due to reputation. If you want to talk about numbers, he doesnt have a case at all.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
The interesting case to me is Mauer. Still about 63% of games at C, won an MVP at C, assuming he plays a few more years he'll get around 2500 hits, 3 batting titles, 3 GGs.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

I literally just read through all that.

The neck tattoos comment from John
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Niners99:

I literally just read through all that.

The neck tattoos comment from John

LOL
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am impressed with some of the opinions in here. I assumed when I started reading that Yadi's HOF case was brought up that I would get into arguments with a ton of people thinking he is a first ballot, sure HOF, etc. Bottom line, Yadier Molina's HOF case is 100% due to reputation. If you want to talk about numbers, he doesnt have a case at all.

If you go strictly by offensive numbers I would agree. But defense should matter when talking about shortstops and catcher in my opinion and their value is much more than just the numbers that they put up.

In Molina's case, he has been a solid hitter, has 8 gold gloves, a key member of 2 World Series winning teams, and has played his entire 15 year career with one team. He is also #16 in career games caught and has several years ahead of him still. To me, that makes a real case for the HOF. But, if you just want to look at numbers and compare him to OFs and 1Bs then I guess you could say he doesnt have a case at all. In the end, I believe most people that vote will disagree with you though
Share 49ersWebzone