Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
SP Matt Harvey to Reds for C Devin Mesoraco

what are your thoughts on the trade?

Steal of a deal for the Mets

I wouldnt go that far. Mesoraco is hitting .196 this year and hit .213 last year. He hasnt played a full season since 2014 and that was his only good year ever. Mesoraco is very marginal and I would say potentially its a steal for the Reds IF Harvey can get his form back.

Lost a ton of playing time to Tucker Barnhart. Last time he was the regular starting catcher he hit .273 w/ 25HRs and 80RBI. Who knows what a chance of scenery can do for him.

I guess my main reason for saying that is I just expected the Mets to outright release Harvey. To get Mesoraco in return instead I think is nice for the Mets.

yeah the deal makes sense for both teams. I think long term though the Mets will win the trade.
in honor of the crosstown series this weekend, this is one of my favorite cubs memories. i loved barrett for punching dbag pierzynski

Originally posted by luv49rs:
in honor of the crosstown series this weekend, this is one of my favorite cubs memories. i loved barrett for punching dbag pierzynski

I miss seeing collisions at home. Thank Buster Posey for ruining that
oh yeah grand slam contreras
Originally posted by valrod33:

Thank Scott Cousins.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

Thank Scott Cousins.

It was Posey doing what you are taught not to. Don't be on your knees for a collision. Your legs will be trapped making your knees take a lot of strain.

f**k buster posey

f**k buster posey

You should get at least a 95% warning for this.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
SP Matt Harvey to Reds for C Devin Mesoraco

what are your thoughts on the trade?

Steal of a deal for the Mets

I wouldnt go that far. Mesoraco is hitting .196 this year and hit .213 last year. He hasnt played a full season since 2014 and that was his only good year ever. Mesoraco is very marginal and I would say potentially its a steal for the Reds IF Harvey can get his form back.

Lost a ton of playing time to Tucker Barnhart. Last time he was the regular starting catcher he hit .273 w/ 25HRs and 80RBI. Who knows what a chance of scenery can do for him.

I guess my main reason for saying that is I just expected the Mets to outright release Harvey. To get Mesoraco in return instead I think is nice for the Mets.

Mesoraco has had ONE good season ever and that was 4 years ago. He also is way overpaid. I think the upside of Harvey actually is higher and I am not a huge Harvey fan at all.

Originally posted by DaBum:

Thank Scott Cousins.

It was Posey doing what you are taught not to. Don't be on your knees for a collision. Your legs will be trapped making your knees take a lot of strain.

lol go watch the play again. Posey was in front of home plate waiting for the ball to then sweep back and tag the runner. Cousins was already ahead of the throw, and had plenty of room to the outside. He veered in and blew up Posey, who wasnt even blocking the plate.

It was purely a case of an amped up runner making a predetermined decision to plow through the catcher because of the situation. Posey being in a crouched position was the only way hed have a chance at tagging Cousins out, and he came out in front of the plate to avoid being in a dangerous position. Cousins cuts towards Posey to make the hit.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Florida Marlins lol
  • DaBum
  • Veteran

lol go watch the play again. Posey was in front of home plate waiting for the ball to then sweep back and tag the runner. Cousins was already ahead of the throw, and had plenty of room to the outside. He veered in and blew up Posey, who wasnt even blocking the plate.

It was purely a case of an amped up runner making a predetermined decision to plow through the catcher because of the situation. Posey being in a crouched position was the only way hed have a chance at tagging Cousins out, and he came out in front of the plate to avoid being in a dangerous position. Cousins cuts towards Posey to make the hit.

Let's show a photo that isn't misleading.

Posey indeed sat just off the plate but just before the runner arrives he swings over in front of the plate and in front of the runner. Runners are to assume the catcher has the ball once he's begun to swing over for a tag. Cousins absolutely did the right thing. If he tried to go around, and Posey had the ball, he'd be tagged out. Posey blocked the plate and did so in a very dangerous position.

See how Posey was up on his feet in your photo but dropped to his knees in my mine? That's bad form and extremely dangerous for the exact reason it ended up hurting him.
Originally posted by DaBum:
Let's show a photo that isn't misleading.

Posey indeed sat just off the plate but just before the runner arrives he swings over in front of the plate and in front of the runner. Runners are to assume the catcher has the ball once he's begun to swing over for a tag. Cousins absolutely did the right thing. If he tried to go around, and Posey had the ball, he'd be tagged out. Posey blocked the plate and did so in a very dangerous position.

See how Posey was up on his feet in your photo but dropped to his knees in my mine? That's bad form and extremely dangerous for the exact reason it ended up hurting him.

See how Cousins literally veered inside the white line to blow Posey up instead of dive outside to the open area of the plate? It was a dirty hit, which is why they made a rule. Posey put himself in a position to make the tag. Otherwise the go ahead run scores in extra innings. My pic was to illustrate that Cousins had an open lane on the outside, but decided to aim at Posey instead of the plate. Itd be one thing if Posey had been sitting on the plate, but there was space. Blaming Posey's fundamentals on a play where a guy tried to heat seek him and jar the ball out isn't a fair assessment.
[ Edited by Niners99 on May 12, 2018 at 8:22 AM ]
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
See how Cousins literally veered inside the white line to blow Posey up instead of dive outside to the open area of the plate? It was a dirty hit, which is why they made a rule. Posey put himself in a position to make the tag. Otherwise the go ahead run scores in extra innings. My pic was to illustrate that Cousins had an open lane on the outside, but decided to aim at Posey instead of the plate. Itd be one thing if Posey had been sitting on the plate, but there was space. Blaming Posey's fundamentals on a play where a guy tried to heat seek him and jar the ball out isn't a fair assessment.

Cousins did exactly as you are supposed to and exactly as the rules allowed. Posey blocked the plate, without the ball. This would be against the rules now.
Share 49ersWebzone