LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 238 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Can anybody tell me here where Gregerson balked? Because I got nothing. Cards won 9-5, but that runner on 3rd was allowed to just come home

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/05/12/2034333283/1526103049821/asset_1200K.mp4
Originally posted by DaBum:
Originally posted by Niners99:
See how Cousins literally veered inside the white line to blow Posey up instead of dive outside to the open area of the plate? It was a dirty hit, which is why they made a rule. Posey put himself in a position to make the tag. Otherwise the go ahead run scores in extra innings. My pic was to illustrate that Cousins had an open lane on the outside, but decided to aim at Posey instead of the plate. Itd be one thing if Posey had been sitting on the plate, but there was space. Blaming Posey's fundamentals on a play where a guy tried to heat seek him and jar the ball out isn't a fair assessment.

Cousins did exactly as you are supposed to and exactly as the rules allowed. Posey blocked the plate, without the ball. This would be against the rules now.

You're only supposed to blow the catcher up if he's sitting on top of the plate. Posey was in front. There was a lane to score without the hit. Cousins very deliberately veered inside the baseline to make a tackle, which is dirty. You cant tackle a 1B, 2B, SS, or 3B, so why is trucking a C who is focusing on the ball ok?

A routine outside head first slide into home is all it would've taken for Cousins to beat the throw and score.
Originally posted by jrg:
Can anybody tell me here where Gregerson balked? Because I got nothing. Cards won 9-5, but that runner on 3rd was allowed to just come home

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/05/12/2034333283/1526103049821/asset_1200K.mp4

I dont see it
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by luv49rs:
in honor of the crosstown series this weekend, this is one of my favorite cubs memories. i loved barrett for punching dbag pierzynski

I miss seeing collisions at home. Thank Buster Posey for ruining that

Thank Scott Cousins.

It was Posey doing what you are taught not to. Don't be on your knees for a collision. Your legs will be trapped making your knees take a lot of strain.

lol go watch the play again. Posey was in front of home plate waiting for the ball to then sweep back and tag the runner. Cousins was already ahead of the throw, and had plenty of room to the outside. He veered in and blew up Posey, who wasnt even blocking the plate.

It was purely a case of an amped up runner making a predetermined decision to plow through the catcher because of the situation. Posey being in a crouched position was the only way hed have a chance at tagging Cousins out, and he came out in front of the plate to avoid being in a dangerous position. Cousins cuts towards Posey to make the hit.

It was purely a case of a play at the plate in a 12 inning game where collisions like this are expected. Theres a reason Cousins got major support from baseball after the injury
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
See how Cousins literally veered inside the white line to blow Posey up instead of dive outside to the open area of the plate? It was a dirty hit, which is why they made a rule. Posey put himself in a position to make the tag. Otherwise the go ahead run scores in extra innings. My pic was to illustrate that Cousins had an open lane on the outside, but decided to aim at Posey instead of the plate. Itd be one thing if Posey had been sitting on the plate, but there was space. Blaming Posey's fundamentals on a play where a guy tried to heat seek him and jar the ball out isn't a fair assessment.

Cousins did exactly as you are supposed to and exactly as the rules allowed. Posey blocked the plate, without the ball. This would be against the rules now.

You're only supposed to blow the catcher up if he's sitting on top of the plate. Posey was in front. There was a lane to score without the hit. Cousins very deliberately veered inside the baseline to make a tackle, which is dirty. You cant tackle a 1B, 2B, SS, or 3B, so why is trucking a C who is focusing on the ball ok?

A routine outside head first slide into home is all it would've taken for Cousins to beat the throw and score.

those are the rules for today BECAUSE of this play

Those weren't the rules when the play happened. Cousins did exactly what everyone expects in that play up until they changed the rules.
those are the rules for today BECAUSE of this play

Those weren't the rules when the play happened. Cousins did exactly what everyone expects in that play up until they changed the rules.

The entire point is that he could have scored without trucking Posey over. He decided well before he arrived at home that he was going to try and knock Posey out rather than dive for the plate. I understand the play at the plate that had existed throughout baseball history, but in this case Cousins was making contact for the sake of tradition, not because there was no other way to score.

If he stayed in the baseline, aimed for the plate, and if Posey had been in the way, id have been all for a tackle there. But he veered inside, which makes it dirty in my mind.

The rule didn't make sense to begin with anyways, because you aren't allowed to tackle a 1B to jar the ball loose, or anyone else. It made no sense that C just had to take blindside hits because they were near the plate.
Who gets the bigger contract Manny or Harper.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

No doubt Harper
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

No doubt Harper

It is going to be closer than you think if Machado continues to have an incredible season. I do believe he will be traded to a contender and it will be interesting to see how he does away from Baltimore.

A 25 year old SS who can hit 40 homers and hit we all over .300 is one of a kind.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Mannys coming to STL

Mannys coming to STL

Better than the Dodgers I suppose.
Mannys coming to STL

Dejong > Manny
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

No doubt Harper

It is going to be closer than you think if Machado continues to have an incredible season. I do believe he will be traded to a contender and it will be interesting to see how he does away from Baltimore.

A 25 year old SS who can hit 40 homers and hit we all over .300 is one of a kind.

Correa and Lindor exist too. This is truly a golden age at SS.

No doubt Harper

Corey Seager was probably considered #1 going into last year as well. Obviously he will have a lot of work to do to get back to these guys. Lots of other guys too such as Gregorious, Turner, Segura, and Simmons. Manny would be at the top though in my opinion.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran

No doubt Harper

Corey Seager was probably considered #1 going into last year as well. Obviously he will have a lot of work to do to get back to these guys. Lots of other guys too such as Gregorious, Turner, Segura, and Simmons. Manny would be at the top though in my opinion.

Can't go wrong with Correa/Lindor/Machado but I'd go with Lindor. His defense sets him apart imo.
Share 49ersWebzone