LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 196 users in the forums

FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 THREAD

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I really dont care who wins on Sunday but based on these semi-finals Germany has to be a pretty big favorite.

One more thing..... Deciding a semi final game in the WC by 5 penalty kicks just seems so wrong.

This.

I really don't have a problem with deciding games on penalties, at least when it comes to soccer. Each team has 2 hours and plenty of opportunities to win the match. If it doesn't happen, the game has got to end. At that point these guys have probably ran close to 10 miles, some of that in full sprint, while throwing their bodies around and taking hard tackles. It's a physically draining game to play.

Here's the solution: allow off-sides in extra time and make it sudden death.

Just like American Football!

oh please tell me you barely make decisions in your life, that's not a "solution"

hey guys, here's an idea for overtime in NFL playoffs: allow false starts!
[ Edited by vrabbit on Jul 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
oh please tell me you barely make decisions in your life, that's not a "solution"

Given Goodell's track record, it's within the realm of possibility. Do it!

I like that idea! Soccer purists will never go for it though lol.

Yeah I don't get that. Penalty kicks in soccer to me is the silliest way to decide a game out of any major sport. They should experiment with other rules like taking out off-sides, sudden death, decreasing the # of players on the field, mandatory substitutions, etc.

What if they divided the field into zones like the NHL does? There is no offsides once you are past an "offensive zone" or something like that.

Of course it will never happen, but it would be interesting.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM ]
Penalty kicks is probably the most exciting way to decide a match...and it's not like teams don't get to practice it. Everyone knows...and they plan for it - just like any other aspect of the game.

It's perfectly fine.

...and I'm finally calm - a little bit. Argentina is back in the FINALS after 24 years!!! OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG....I've waited all those years...I'm so excited. I don't give a f**k about anything till Sunday!!!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I really dont care who wins on Sunday but based on these semi-finals Germany has to be a pretty big favorite.

One more thing..... Deciding a semi final game in the WC by 5 penalty kicks just seems so wrong.

This.

I really don't have a problem with deciding games on penalties, at least when it comes to soccer. Each team has 2 hours and plenty of opportunities to win the match. If it doesn't happen, the game has got to end. At that point these guys have probably ran close to 10 miles, some of that in full sprint, while throwing their bodies around and taking hard tackles. It's a physically draining game to play.

Whoops --- yah, let's make Brady and Peyton "wait" until the opposing secondary "catches up" to their man before they throw the ball.
lol at people overlooking Argentina because of Germany's beatdown of Brazil yesterday. Argentina today played a much better version of what Algeria played against Germany in the round of 16, when Germany had to go to OT to win it. By better I mean they played a complete game first defending then not just counter attacking, but controlling the ball as well. Argentina won despite a subpar performance from Messi.

Germany ain't blowing out Argentina and they're also not a slam dunk favorite.

without angel too, their second best player

They should bring the bases closer after the 9th inning...and umpire's strike zone should shrink by an inch every inning.
Originally posted by 4ML:

They should bring the bases closer after the 9th inning...and umpire's strike zone should shrink by an inch every inning.

yup and let's bring the hoop down to 6 inches in basketball OT.

Switch out baseballs and bats for tennis balls and rackets!!!!!
Btw...El Jefecito was the best player on the pitch today. The man is fukin' boss! One of most under-rated players.

Penalty kicks is probably the most exciting way to decide a match...and it's not like teams don't get to practice it. Everyone knows...and they plan for it - just like any other aspect of the game.

It's perfectly fine.

...and I'm finally calm - a little bit. Argentina is back in the FINALS after 24 years!!! OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG....I've waited all those years...I'm so excited. I don't give a f**k about anything till Sunday!!!

Lol are you legit a fan or is just like you Lebron thing?
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
lol at people overlooking Argentina because of Germany's beatdown of Brazil yesterday. Argentina today played a much better version of what Algeria played against Germany in the round of 16, when Germany had to go to OT to win it. By better I mean they played a complete game first defending then not just counter attacking, but controlling the ball as well. Argentina won despite a subpar performance from Messi.

Germany ain't blowing out Argentina and they're also not a slam dunk favorite.

without angel too, their second best player

touche, guys really stepped up today including Higuain, Perez, and Mascherano. Lavezzi had a solid game too. Zabaleta probably had his best game of the tourney. Rojo continues to play very well. Look just everyone had a hell of a game: Garay and Demichelis on the back end, Biglia cleaning up next to Mascherano, and Romero didn't get tested in the game but what a f**king way to come through in PK's.
Btw...El Jefecito was the best player on the pitch today. The man is fukin' boss! One of most under-rated players.

he was A-mazing. No way we win this game if he comes out after that hit to the head.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

It's perfectly fine.

Lol are you legit a fan or is just like you Lebron thing?

lol @ legit fan

It's amazing how many ppl are concerned about who I root for? lol...I like the attn but gettin' f**kin' creepy.

yup and let's bring the hoop down to 6 inches in basketball OT.

I can tell you guys are real soccer fans, flopping over a suggestion and crying bloody murder
Share 49ersWebzone