LOL

lol Will
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Happy Jim Joyce day

Worst call in the history of baseball!

Made by one of the best and most consistent umps in baseball history.

I'd rather be considered an average ump and never made that call than to have made that call

One call shouldn't define his career. He didn't cost anyone a WS, he just screwed up a mediocre pitchers' career achievement. Ultimately Galarraga will be remembered even more because of that than if he had actually gotten the perfect game. Nobody really cares about or remembers Dallas Braden's perfect game, but they'll remember Galarraga forever.

Joyce was consistently voted the best ump in the big leagues by the MLBPA survey. I will remember him for being very good, by his famously unique strike call, and his fu manchu all before the Galarraga game.

lol

I couldn't name more than 2 umps off the top of my head.

Only reason I remember Jim Joyce is because of the worst call in history.

A team wins the WS every year. There's only been 21 perfect games in MLB history.

He didn't just screw up a pitchers achievement he screwed up baseball history and something that will never be done again.

Fun facts
Galarraga's perfect game would have been the 3rd in a 25 day span.
Braden 5/9/10 Halladay 5/29/10 Galarraga 6/2/10

Galarraga's perfect game should have ended at 83 pitches. It would have been the 2nd most efficient perfect game in history.

wow
Happy Jim Joyce day

I'd rather be considered an average ump and never made that call than to have made that call

One call shouldn't define his career. He didn't cost anyone a WS, he just screwed up a mediocre pitchers' career achievement. Ultimately Galarraga will be remembered even more because of that than if he had actually gotten the perfect game. Nobody really cares about or remembers Dallas Braden's perfect game, but they'll remember Galarraga forever.

Joyce was consistently voted the best ump in the big leagues by the MLBPA survey. I will remember him for being very good, by his famously unique strike call, and his fu manchu all before the Galarraga game.

lol

A team wins the WS every year. There's only been 21 perfect games in MLB history.

He didn't just screw up a pitchers achievement he screwed up baseball history and something that will never be done again.

Fun facts

Galarraga's perfect game should have ended at 83 pitches. It would have been the 2nd most efficient perfect game in history.

wow

Agree. And Braden's perfect game led to opportunities for him from the notariety. So I don't agree, 99. It was a perfect game. Not a no hitter. And it was f**king terrible. I'd rather be average than do that to someone.
Happy Jim Joyce day

lol

Fun facts

wow

Agree. And Braden's perfect game led to opportunities for him from the notariety. So I don't agree, 99. It was a perfect game. Not a no hitter. And it was f**king terrible. I'd rather be average than do that to someone.

I agree with both of you.

I would argue that Galarraga is definitely more famous in the baseball zeitgeist than Dallas Braden or Philip Humber. People will forever remember the guy who got screwed. Braden and Humber will be forgotten unless people go look up the list of PG's. Everyone knows Galarraga threw a PG. it was an obvious blown call, and was the final out, so he accomplished the feat. It just didn't get recorded as such because of the mistake.

The two most important parts of throwing a PG is the legacy aspect and the personal accomplishment. His legacy will always be preserved because of how unique it was to baseball history, and he knows he accomplished the feat. He just has to deal with it not being on the record.

im sure Joyce would give anything to go back and get it right, but a great 30 year career shouldn't be spoiled over one mistake.
Since replay became a thing in 2014, and everyone knows it was a blown call, why can't they just officially recognize that he threw a perfect game and put it in the record books? Obviously it wouldn't be the same as throwing a perfect game in the moment and having the crowd reaction, but at least he would rightfully get the credit for doing it.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

LOL

lol Will

lol fitting this is still on the page because Pirates gonna Pirate again.

Homer reversed as an out after dude missed first base watching it. Different player.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
151AB

15HR

I watch when Jacob deGrom pitches, he's fast becoming the pitcher of the generation.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I watch when Jacob deGrom pitches, he's fast becoming the pitcher of the generation.

Ya, hes something else. Sucks that hes been stuck on a bad team. He would be easily winning 20 games a year on a good team.

Originally posted by jrg:
151AB

15HR

Ok lol
Ya, hes something else. Sucks that hes been stuck on a bad team. He would be easily winning 20 games a year on a good team.

I like what one of the MLB announcers said, "when he pitches the Mets are the best team in baseball".

Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Lol nice
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

bad team? They are in 1st in their division lol
Share 49ersWebzone