There are 151 users in the forums

***2024 MLB Regular Season Thread***

The HOF has become a joke. Too many writers acting high and mighty and ignoring great players who have been associated with steroids even if they never failed a test. That entire era was so full PEDs both legal and illegal that it's impossible to pick one person and then deny another based on your personal feelings. C'mon. Scott Rolin. My belief is there are probably too many in the HOF already. My guidelines are if you have to look up his stats and compare him to others then he probably isn't a HOF player.

This is the HOF not the hall of good. It should be reserved for the true greats that pop into your head without having to look up the stats. Ruth, Gerigh, Cobb, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Robinson, Clemente, and now.........Scott Rolin? It doesn't do it for me.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The HOF has become a joke. Too many writers acting high and mighty and ignoring great players who have been associated with steroids even if they never failed a test. That entire era was so full PEDs both legal and illegal that it's impossible to pick one person and then deny another based on your personal feelings. C'mon. Scott Rolin. My belief is there are probably too many in the HOF already. My guidelines are if you have to look up his stats and compare him to others then he probably isn't a HOF player.

This is the HOF not the hall of good. It should be reserved for the true greats that pop into your head without having to look up the stats. Ruth, Gerigh, Cobb, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Robinson, Clemente, and now.........Scott Rolin? It doesn't do it for me.

I agree its a joke. But i dont agree with who gets in. It should be also be the great players of their era. I have no issue with Rolen getting in, but his numbers are the exact same as players that arent in. Compare his to Dale Murphy for example. The argument was he's a 3B vs an OFer. Well that didnt work for Jeff Kent....whose numbers are better than some 2nd basemen that are in.

They need to change how its voted. The voters are hurting the HOF image. I saw like 10 ballots where they only voted for one person.

The baseball HOF is the worst of all pro sports now. A lot of guys that should have been inducted aren't even close.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I agree its a joke. But i dont agree with who gets in. It should be also be the great players of their era. I have no issue with Rolen getting in, but his numbers are the exact same as players that arent in. Compare his to Dale Murphy for example. The argument was he's a 3B vs an OFer. Well that didnt work for Jeff Kent....whose numbers are better than some 2nd basemen that are in.

They need to change how its voted. The voters are hurting the HOF image. I saw like 10 ballots where they only voted for one person.

The baseball HOF is the worst of all pro sports now. A lot of guys that should have been inducted aren't even close.

Jeff Kent has the most HRs as a 2B, he should be in.
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

thats my point. More than Sandberg, Morgan, etc. And he just hit 10 looks without getting in.
Originally posted by Garce:

no one.. washes the truck.. like Jeff Kent
I think Scott Rolen checks enough boxes that he should be in. Amazing defense, good offense, postseason moments, all star appearances, etc. The one that kills me is Andruw Jones. Far too many people have this incorrect memory that he was just awful for many years at the end of his career, and fail to acknowledge he was an elite player for a decade. Peak is important to me, and Jones' peak was 10 years. He should be in the HOF if Rolen is.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I think Scott Rolen checks enough boxes that he should be in. Amazing defense, good offense, postseason moments, all star appearances, etc. The one that kills me is Andruw Jones. Far too many people have this incorrect memory that he was just awful for many years at the end of his career, and fail to acknowledge he was an elite player for a decade. Peak is important to me, and Jones' peak was 10 years. He should be in the HOF if Rolen is.

They need to have other people vote other than the baseball writers. I feel like they purposely refuse to vote for anyone who was a dick to them and didn't give them great stories. I don't know if Jones has that kinda reputation but it's a travesty guys like him, Kent and great overall hitters and pitchers of the Steroid Era aren't in.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Career OPS+ of 111. His defense was really good, but he doesn't really need to be in.
I'm loving these pitcher and batter clocks. The violations in the last couple days have been hilarious.
The truth!

• jrg
  • Veteran
This dude is about to f**k the MLB.

6'6" 250lbs

20 years old

Hes already forcing LF Tyler O'Neill to CF.
This is a pretty fascinating but tragic thread on Twitter. Highly recommend check the rest of this Twitter thread. The article is behind a paywall.

[ Edited by JustinMT on Mar 7, 2023 at 11:16 AM ]
I like Mariners this year as I look to Opening Day

Cards I don't like as their rotation is not good; although I like this Walker prospect for NLROY

Gonna predict Mariners over Mets
Can't wait till they're replaced by robots.
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Can't wait till they're replaced by robots.

Yup. It's like the one sport where refs routinely insert their ego. If you don't massage their ego, they will ring you up with stuff comically outside the zone, or other such nonsense.

google that Miss. Valley State one if you missed it lol
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Mar 27, 2023 at 11:57 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone