Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 236 users in the forums

***2024 MLB Regular Season Thread***

One thing is for sure: baseball just put their d*ck on the table.

This is a statement.

More than Mahomes ' $450 million.

Maybe more athletes will tryout for baseball now instead of just football.
f**k u Shohei
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

This is a statement.

Baseball top contacts have always been the highest, at least the past 20-25 years
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

This is a statement.

Baseball top contacts have always been the highest, at least the past 20-25 years
NBA top contracts have been higher than baseball in recent years. Until Ohtani that is. They all pale in comparison to what Ronaldo, Messi, and Neybar get for soccer though

[ Edited by JustinMT on Dec 11, 2023 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Brilliant. He'll collect that money on the backend when he's done playing and won't be subject to California taxes. Meanwhile the Dodgers save tens of millions on their payroll each year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Brilliant. He'll collect that money on the backend when he's done playing and won't be subject to California taxes. Meanwhile the Dodgers save tens of millions on their payroll each year.

I wonder if CA would have a challenge, as he's earning from a CA organization, for work performed in CA
they have years of time to pass the necessary legislation lol..
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I wonder if CA would have a challenge, as he's earning from a CA organization, for work performed in CA
they have years of time to pass the necessary legislation lol..

That and I'm curious if the MLB would allow this.
Hmm.. deferred income may still be income. Wonder if the deal provides that the dodgers will cover the tax burden pending distribution? I'm no tax expert.

Smart by them in that they can put some of the extra profits coming from Otani (ticket sales and merch) into an annuity to earn interest. IIRC, that's what the USFL did for Steve.

It was still earned in playing years in CA and will likely be taxed in CA. $700 million is too much for a baseball player. What a joke. If they want to be that dumb OK. But it's dumb.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Hmm.. deferred income may still be income. Wonder if the deal provides that the dodgers will cover the tax burden pending distribution? I'm no tax expert.

Smart by them in that they can put some of the extra profits coming from Otani (ticket sales and merch) into an annuity to earn interest. IIRC, that's what the USFL did for Steve.

The assumption is that there's some sort of loophole that his advisors feel can be exploited, both with the MLB pay structure and when it comes to reducing or avoiding state taxes.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It was still earned in playing years in CA and will likely be taxed in CA. $700 million is too much for a baseball player. What a joke. If they want to be that dumb OK. But it's dumb.

If it helps push the way towards an actual salary cap, I'm down.

Some Bobby Bonilla s**t, but way more cash.
The assumption is that there's some sort of loophole that his advisors feel can be exploited, both with the MLB pay structure and when it comes to reducing or avoiding state taxes.

It sounds like they need one really bad.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

It sounds like they need one really bad.

MLB is a joke. They desperately need a salary cap. It's basically the same teams every year that can compete. Then most of the league has a 1-2 year window and then they go back to sucking again for 10 years.
Share 49ersWebzone