Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 235 users in the forums

***2024 MLB Regular Season Thread***

We need salary caps so filthy rich owners can take in more money for themselves?

Damn it
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Damn it

What starting pitchers are left worth big money? Every Yankees fans thought we were getting him, this team will never win another World Series with Boone as manager, & Cashman as GM, there refusal to play the young guys till they were out of it, then Dominguez tears his UCL like Purdy did, Boone played him despite him saying there was something off, but he did want to play. Juan Soto is great and all, but is he gonna commit long term to the Yankees?
Originally posted by TheNaitch:
We need salary caps so filthy rich owners can take in more money for themselves?

Salary cap so one team doesn't spend a billion dollars without breaking a sweat.

Every time there's a major free agent it's largely the same four or five large market teams in the vying for them while much of the rest of the league is fighting over scraps.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Salary cap so one team doesn't spend a billion dollars without breaking a sweat.

Every time there's a major free agent it's largely the same four or five large market teams in the vying for them while much of the rest of the league is fighting over scraps.
And while people will argue that it doesnt guarantee a championship, I would say that it does guarantee that the Dodgers will be in the playoffs every year and have multiple chances to win the WS. Sadly, there will never be a salary cap because the players union is way too strong and will never allow that to happen.

I feel like a salary floor accomplishes the same thing. If you made a salary floor of like $140M, there would be fewer major free agents because teams would just keep the players worth keeping.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Damn it

What starting pitchers are left worth big money? Every Yankees fans thought we were getting him, this team will never win another World Series with Boone as manager, & Cashman as GM, there refusal to play the young guys till they were out of it, then Dominguez tears his UCL like Purdy did, Boone played him despite him saying there was something off, but he did want to play. Juan Soto is great and all, but is he gonna commit long term to the Yankees?

The whole franchise is a mess. Everyone outside of the fandom acts like the team is the same ole Yankees but the actual fans know they have a lot of hot garbage working for that team from top to bottom. I want Cashman and Boone gone so bad. It's not working and hasn't worked in over a decade. I don't know what Hal is waiting on.

I feel like a salary floor accomplishes the same thing. If you made a salary floor of like $140M, there would be fewer major free agents because teams would just keep the players worth keeping.

That's way better, why is that even an argument.. that means that every team has a chance of being competitive long term. As it stands right now majority of the league is just a farm system for the big markets.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
And while people will argue that it doesnt guarantee a championship, I would say that it does guarantee that the Dodgers will be in the playoffs every year and have multiple chances to win the WS. Sadly, there will never be a salary cap because the players union is way too strong and will never allow that to happen.

Yup..
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Dec 22, 2023 at 11:55 PM ]

A salary floor is definitely better than a salary cap, but I'm not sure owners would approve it. The cheapskates of the league would be against spending their profits, and it would also inflate the market a great deal. If everyone HAS to reach a floor, they're going to start overpaying average players, which would make the elite players want equally increased value. Things are already out of control as it is.

the luxury tax keeps teams like LA and NY from just buying the entire league up, but now that the Dodgers are working loopholes I could see MLB limiting deferments and/or enforcing strict year to year salary tax penalties. Right now I think its 3 years where you can be over the luxury threshold without massive penalties? Maybe just make it a yearly thing, set with hard penalties that keep going up the more you spend. So LA has to include even deferred money in the yearly payroll, and pay the price for it.

So maybe the team doesn't actually have to pay Ohtani right now, but his contract still against the payroll limit each season. They need to make it super uncomfortable for teams like LA to spend like this.
baseball badly needs restructuring to the salary cap and salary floor.

She campaigned for him and gets a nice ride..

• pd24
  • Veteran

Lol. No, players have a right to choose where they want to play and live. Yamamoto had the same offer in New York and a better offer with the Yankees. He chose the Dodgers.
Originally posted by pd24:
Lol. No, players have a right to choose where they want to play and live. Yamamoto had the same offer in New York and a better offer with the Yankees. He chose the Dodgers.

Lol, thanks for making my point.

They have that same right in the NFL and NBA but you don't have a handful of teams able to simply spend insane amounts of money annually while half of the other teams in the league are essentially farm teams because they can't throw out $300 million without breaking a sweat.

Under the current system, teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will always have an incredible advantage over everyone else. Imagine if the NFL was like this and the Cowboys, Giants and Rams could simply spend three or four times as much as most other teams on a yearly basis. It doesn't guarantee that you win but it creates a huge competitive advantage where you have a much greater margin for error than most others.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C149Kz3RDXd/?igsh=MzY1NDJmNzMyNQ==

Share 49ersWebzone