Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Zachary:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Good!

Now they just need to change the stupid blackout rules for mlbtv. Oh and give Armando Galarraga his perfect game!

I'm not a fan of this. Because it's MLB records. I get that the Negro Leagues had some of the best players coming from there, but it wasn't the MLB. Just creates a grey area for what will be counted and whatnot. Ichiro's hits in Asia, etc

Agree. But this is the only way those guys will get some recognition.

I know, it's just that every MLB player was facing MLB players... Josh Gibson was not always facing MLB level pitching, which 100% of mlb batters faced.

Statistics are useful tools, but stats should always be coupled with context. Yeah, Gibson's stats were incredible and many consider him one of the best ever. But as you said, he wasnt facing MLB level players 100% of the time. Most people will understand that when discussing his statistics.

Steve Phillips brought up an excellent point the other day. Maybe if the white mlb players had to face the better black players they wouldn't have been as good.

Ever think of that?

I have thought of that and not for one second have I dismissed that possibility/probability.
Oh ok lol
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Good!

Now they just need to change the stupid blackout rules for mlbtv. Oh and give Armando Galarraga his perfect game!

I'm not a fan of this. Because it's MLB records. I get that the Negro Leagues had some of the best players coming from there, but it wasn't the MLB. Just creates a grey area for what will be counted and whatnot. Ichiro's hits in Asia, etc

Agree. But this is the only way those guys will get some recognition.

I know, it's just that every MLB player was facing MLB players... Josh Gibson was not always facing MLB level pitching, which 100% of mlb batters faced.

Statistics are useful tools, but stats should always be coupled with context. Yeah, Gibson's stats were incredible and many consider him one of the best ever. But as you said, he wasnt facing MLB level players 100% of the time. Most people will understand that when discussing his statistics.

Steve Phillips brought up an excellent point the other day. Maybe if the white mlb players had to face the better black players they wouldn't have been as good.

Ever think of that?

I have thought of that and not for one second have I dismissed that possibility/probability.

Same. However the MLB players at the time were playing against who was in the MLB. Black or white, it's who was there. Therefore, I think they should be the only stats recorded for.. the MLB

I just looked up Willie Mays's negro league homeruns. There weren't box scores to record them, even though he did hit homeruns. Evidence by them being mentioned in the newspaper by both cities covering the teams. However, his MLB homerun number stays at 660. Interesting
In 1921 some dude led the mlb in SB with 49 and played like 150 games. Some NL player had 35 in only like 65 games played. Could have had 70 or 80 if he played a full mlb season.

Lol
In 1921 some dude led the mlb in SB with 49 and played like 150 games. Some NL player had 35 in only like 65 games played. Could have had 70 or 80 if he played a full mlb season.

Lol

I like the old timey stats. Would be interesting to see the game back in that era. for example Cy Young i guess, had 749 complete games. what was even going on back then?

seen here, the original Paul Skenes

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on May 31, 2024 at 4:17 PM ]

dumbass

you bet 25 times and lose all those bets? was he betting on them scoring 30 runs?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

you bet 25 times and lose all those bets? was he betting on them scoring 30 runs?

More than that:

MLB's investigation found that Marcano didn't just bet on baseball frequently -- he's claimed to have gambled more than $150,000 across nearly 400 baseball bets, including on MLB and international contests -- but that he even bet on his own team, then the Pirates. "[Almost] all of Marcano's Pirates bets were on which club (the Pirates or their opponent) would win the game or whether there would be more or less than a certain number of runs scored in the game," MLB said in a press release.

It's notable that Marcano did not appear in any of the games that he bet on because of his injury. He also denied having inside information that influenced his bets. MLB estimates that he won just 4.3% of his MLB-related gambles.

Meh. MLB players weren't facing MLB players all the time also. Joking but serious. These dudes had other jobs and weren't full time baseball players. Facing dudes who tended bar at night. Or worked construction.

I have zero issue with the stats being combined. Should have happened a long time ago.

https://share.newsbreak.com/76iwg2kg

Dodger fan in the back uppercutting the lady. Wtf
predictably, mlb says investigation closed into Ohtani, nothing to see here

do you believe this sentence, from ESPN? : Mizuhara placed somewhere in the neighborhood of 19,000 wagers from December 2021 to January 2024 without Ohtani's knowledge
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
predictably, mlb says investigation closed into Ohtani, nothing to see here

do you believe this sentence, from ESPN? : Mizuhara placed somewhere in the neighborhood of 19,000 wagers from December 2021 to January 2024 without Ohtani's knowledge

A lot of celebs/athletes have their own people that handle their money. With the amount of money he spends daily it wouldn't surprise me if he's not really noticing it. The betting was also not baseball related either. I guess anything is possible, but does Shohei really come across as some gambling addict?

What did he bet on?
Share 49ersWebzone