There are 293 users in the forums

THE KING and his Cavaliers 2015-2016 Thread

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How and why does this dealing Dion Waiters deal for multiple players and draft picks make sense? Does this help or hurt? Most media reports seem favorable to the Cleveland side of the deal. J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert and an OKC future 1st round pick. I get that Waiters was not shooting well especially from 3 and he was kind of a head case me first type of player. But how do the 2 they got help them?

JR Smith wont help them that much, he shoots way too much.

Shump is a good fit for the Cavs
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
How and why does this dealing Dion Waiters deal for multiple players and draft picks make sense? Does this help or hurt? Most media reports seem favorable to the Cleveland side of the deal. J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert and an OKC future 1st round pick. I get that Waiters was not shooting well especially from 3 and he was kind of a head case me first type of player. But how do the 2 they got help them?

A defensive wing is what they needed desperately.
Originally posted by JustinMT:

A defensive wing is what they needed desperately.

Yeup and he can play backup pg too for 5-6 minutes if needed.

I'd be blasting this trade if not for that 1st rd. pick. I think Cavs now have the assets to go get rim protection with their own and Thunder 1st rd. picks.

Really hope they keep that Memphis pick. That pick is going to be really valuable in 2 years.
They sure gave up a lot for that center. Is it worth it? I guess it's all out for win now. Which makes sense if you look at it like Lebron is 29/30 this season. So you figure 30 - 33 or so is his best years. In that context giving up a future pick or picks is costly but it's rebuild time anyway when Lebron and Kevin Love eventually leave if they do that years down the line.

Is Timofey Mozgov that good? At least he is 7'1" 250 lbs. That should help some. You can't teach that size.

So they get a the following with all these trades.

~ Rim protector
~ Wing defender
~ Off the bench scorer

I suppose that should help them some. They really gave up a lot though. Dion Waiters I think it's no problem really. He was such a brick layer and a selfish me first guy. Always fighting with guys on the team about shooting, scoring, minutes, who should have the most prominent role. He's not that good anyway. Very overrated. He's a terrible shooter. Giving up the picks was more expensive. Apparently including one that could possibly be a lottery pick. That's a high price. They could not go anywhere without a rim protector or some size this season after Varejao got hurt. So maybe they need it.

• Jiks

"And Cleveland COULD risk overpaying for the eminently forgettable Mozgov because GM LeBron wanted to mortgage the future for a rim protector, no matter how mediocre that rim protector actually was. I mean, what could go wrong there? Is it too late to work GM LeBron into the Randy Orton RKO montage?" - Bill Simmons

Funny quote. If Wiggins becomes the superstar that he's looking like he will and the Cavs don't get a ring, I wonder how the fans will view LBJ. Everyone that isn't blind knows that Wiggins got traded because that's what Bron wanted. He wanted to play with Love. No matter what that did in the future.
Originally posted by sacniner:
"And Cleveland COULD risk overpaying for the eminently forgettable Mozgov because GM LeBron wanted to mortgage the future for a rim protector, no matter how mediocre that rim protector actually was. I mean, what could go wrong there? Is it too late to work GM LeBron into the Randy Orton RKO montage?" - Bill Simmons

Funny quote. If Wiggins becomes the superstar that he's looking like he will and the Cavs don't get a ring, I wonder how the fans will view LBJ. Everyone that isn't blind knows that Wiggins got traded because that's what Bron wanted. He wanted to play with Love. No matter what that did in the future.

funny thing is Mozgov is helping them more than Love is right now.
I love Bill Simmons but when he is pushing a view - he'll continue to push it regardless of how absurd it is. The whole GM Lebron thing has been debunked several times. Does he have some influence...well, duh. Is he running the joint? lol no.

If Lebron was the GM:

Thompson would have been extended. Cavs said from the beginning they have a number in mind and they won't go over it without seeing him play this season. Anyone who follows that team knows Lebron and Thompson are not only good friends - but Thompson is represented by Lebron's buddy.

Bill Simmons must not know who wanted Mozgov on the team. It was Blatt. Cavs have been chasing Mozgov since they acquired Love. Blatt coached Mozgov in Russia. Blatt even said in the press conf. how excited he is to finally get Mozgov.

Cavs FO bent backwards to land Mozgov. There were plenty of reports that Lebron wants Blatt out. The FO gave away 2 first round picks for Mozgov to not only get the ONE player Blatt wanted - but to also let the media and players know that Blatt is not going anywhere this season.

...and Kevin Love will be fine as long as he stays healthy. Ppl love to over-react. The team is like 20-10 when all 3 of them are in the line-up.
funny thing is Mozgov is helping them more than Love is right now.

Mozgov has been quite an addition. Blatt sold the FO and they went out and got him. Would love to credit "GM Lebron" but too bad after the Chicago game Lebron said he didn't know a whole lot about Mozgov until he was told that the Cavs are close to acquiring Mozgov. He then started reading up detailed scouting report and watched a videos on Mozgov.

Anyway...Mozgov was a tremendous get and IMO so will be Shump. I've not said this before - but Cavs FO has done a pretty good job in January.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jan 23, 2015 at 2:18 PM ]

[ Edited by 4ML on Jan 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM ]
They really look good now. This is the team I expected to see at the beginning of the year. Right about now. The expectations and such. Mozgov was a HUGE addition as others said. You can't teach 7'1" with long arms. He is the rim protector, rebounder, shot blocker, and enforcer they so desperately needed. J.R. Smith is a real good scorer. He helps them a lot too. Shump we have not seen enough to know how he will fit. But I would say the trades really changed this team. They gave up a lot. Some high draft picks and some first rounders. But when you look at the team now it sort of makes sense. They got a rim protector, scoring, veteran guys. Just a much better team. They look like a real team now. Not a joke. Lebron resting and being healthy was reall big also IMO.
They really look good now. This is the team I expected to see at the beginning of the year. Right about now. The expectations and such. Mozgov was a HUGE addition as others said. You can't teach 7'1" with long arms. He is the rim protector, rebounder, shot blocker, and enforcer they so desperately needed. J.R. Smith is a real good scorer. He helps them a lot too. Shump we have not seen enough to know how he will fit. But I would say the trades really changed this team. They gave up a lot. Some high draft picks and some first rounders. But when you look at the team now it sort of makes sense. They got a rim protector, scoring, veteran guys. Just a much better team. They look like a real team now. Not a joke. Lebron resting and being healthy was reall big also IMO.

I think Shump is gonna be a great addition. I expect him to become a starter before All-star break. He can be a really good perimeter defender and is a pretty decent 3pt shooter. He can guard PGs, SGs, and SFs. So, Lebron doesn't have to guard the best perimeter player all game. He can also play back-up point for a limited minutes.

JR has been great so far...but I trust him less. Lebron is always lookin' for him - so he is less inclined to jack up bad shots. We'll see how long that lasts. If he can stay mentally stable - this offense will be explosive.

Of course, Timo has been huge. He's the best true-center Lebron has ever played with. lol kinda crazy to think about that. He gives them the ability to match-up with the front-line of any team in the East. Bulls, Wizards, Raptors, Hawks all have quality Centers.

Gotta credit Blatt for the Mozgov move. That was all him. It also seems like he finally has some handle on his rotations.

Lebron looks like Lebron after that 2 week rest. And, I'm becoming a fan of Kyrie. Lebron has completely changed his mindset on defense and offense. This is his best year as a pro and he's only gettin' better. Really excited for him. Hope he stays healthy.

Again, all of this is too early - some tough games this week to test the recent success.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jan 24, 2015 at 6:31 PM ]

Great win.
Share 49ersWebzone