LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 154 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
We're all frustrated by this team's problems scoring runs when they get guys on base. Two on and nobody out and they get no runs. It's happened over and over this year. What frustrates me even more is taking thse called 3rd strikes.

I don't mind guys swinging and missing at balls a foot outside because pitchers have such nasty breaking stuff now. We see even the best hitters swinging at those pitches. What bothers me the most is taking called 3rd strikes that are often right down the middle. I understand that hitters today are looking for specific pitches and often guess wrong but you can't do that with 2 strikes. You have to be ready to swing at anything close to the strike zone. Maybe you miss but you at least have a chance if you swing.

Guessing what pitch is coming with two strikes is among the worst thing that you could do as a batter. Surefire recipe for a bad hitter.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Question.

If the FO lets both Farhan and Melvin go, who should we hire?

my guess is they both get another year.

I don't see how the Giants can possibly justify giving Farhan another year.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Question.

If the FO lets both Farhan and Melvin go, who should we hire?

my guess is they both get another year.

I don't see how the Giants can possibly justify giving Farhan another year.

I only said that because they recently extended him and basically blamed the players for underperforming. Logan Webb agreed with him. Plus injuries. And they can use the money on FAs instead of a new GM.

Having said that, I would love to see him go. I hate everything about how he builds a team.
Worst than last year , this team needs a make over starting at the top , yes you farcrap

fire farhan regardless
Conflicted on whether or not I like that.
  • tl57
  • Veteran
Got the splash move out of the way. That is where the Snell's money went. As I have said, the roster is pretty much set for next year.
Don't forget , Conforto's money are disappearing as well. Giants budget is looking prettier and prettier the closer it gets to the end of the season.
[ Edited by tl57 on Sep 4, 2024 at 11:05 PM ]
At least we're keeping Chapman. Me wonders if they got this done early so they could focus on Snell.

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I don't like the deal because its a six year deal. Overall he had a good year this year after a rusty start...but he will be pretty old the last two years of this deal. If he gets older and his numbers decline at all, or his defense isn't what we saw this year, its a horrible contract.

I would have been cool with 4 years. That would end at age 35. 6 years of .240 and 22 HRs isn't great, but likely it declines after a few years. What I do like about it is it shows players like playing in SF.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I don't like the deal because its a six year deal. Overall he had a good year this year after a rusty start...but he will be pretty old the last two years of this deal. If he gets older and his numbers decline at all, or his defense isn't what we saw this year, its a horrible contract.

I would have been cool with 4 years. That would end at age 35. 6 years of .240 and 22 HRs isn't great, but likely it declines after a few years. What I do like about it is it shows players like playing in SF.

Six years does seem a little long for a player his age but it doesn't really matter since baseball has no cap. They could move on from him whenever they want to as long as they're comfortable paying him the money. Six years from now $25K per season will seem small with the way salaries keep escalating. Look at Ohtani's contract. The Dodgers will be paying him $68 million per year for 10 years when he's 40 and no longer playing. I know Ohtani is better but that's a lot of money for someone no longer on the team.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Sep 5, 2024 at 8:43 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Six years does seem a little long for a player his age but it doesn't really matter since baseball has no cap. They could move on from him whenever they want to as long as they're comfortable paying him the money. Six years from now $25K per season will seem small with the way salaries keep escalating. Look at Ohtani's contract. The Dodgers will be paying him $68 million per year for 10 years when he's 40 and no longer playing. I know Ohtani is better but that's a lot of money for someone no longer on the team.

you cant even put Ohtani and Chapman in the same paragraph. Nothing they do is comparable other than being in the league. Ohtani is flat out amazing and generates so much income for the dodgers. Chapman doesnt bring fans to the stands.
they were selling Ohtani bobbleheads for 1500 on ebay. A chapman bobble would likely ship for 20 bucks.
they were selling Ohtani bobbleheads for 1500 on ebay. A chapman bobble would likely ship for 20 bucks.

I agree and I said that Ohtani is much better. Still $68 million for ten years for a player that's not longer on the team is a lot. Like I said it doesn't matter as much in baseball if the ownership is willing to spend the money since they don't have to worry about being over a cap. Any time you sign players to a long contract, no matter what their age you risk the chance of career ending injury. In Ohtani's case he's being paid so much because he pitches as well as hits. If he's not the same pitcher next year they would be over paying for a DH.
Share 49ersWebzone