There are 185 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

If I was to bet Id go with Farhan and Melvin both coming back next year.
6 more years of CHAP

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
6 more years of CHAP

A lot of years and money for a #6 hitter.

Chapman is a good player but he strikes out too much to be a middle of the order guy. They still dont have a true 3, 4, 5 hitter.

1. Jung Hoo Lee CF
2. Tyler Fitzgerald SS
3. ??? RF
4. ??? 1B
5. Heliot Ramos LF
6. Matt Chapman 3B
7. Oaxaca Encarnacion ??? DH
8. Patrick Bailey C
9. ??? 2B
Originally posted by DeepNinerValue:
6 more years of CHAP

Chapman is a good player but he strikes out too much to be a middle of the order guy. They still dont have a true 3, 4, 5 hitter.

1. Jung Hoo Lee CF
2. Tyler Fitzgerald SS
3. ??? RF
4. ??? 1B
5. Heliot Ramos LF
6. Matt Chapman 3B
8. Patrick Bailey C
9. ??? 2B

Chapman has one of the lower strikeout rates on the team. His problem is he isn't what I would call a clutch hitter. Striking out when runners are in scoring position makes it appear that he strikes out more than he actually does. In the Giants case that happens all through the lineup. You're right that they need a couple of guys in the middle that can consistently put the ball in play. Power would be nice but even singles and doubles would be a huge improvement.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Chapman has one of the lower strikeout rates on the team. His problem is he isn't what I would call a clutch hitter. Striking out when runners are in scoring position makes it appear that he strikes out more than he actually does. In the Giants case that happens all through the lineup. You're right that they need a couple of guys in the middle that can consistently put the ball in play. Power would be nice but even singles and doubles would be a huge improvement.

Chapman 141 K this season, 1st by about 20+

Ramos second with 118

Chapman 141 K this season, 1st by about 20+

Ramos second with 118

If you read my statement it says strikeout rates. Naturally Chapman has the most SOs. He has the most in every offensive category because he played nearly every game and has by far the most ABs. His SO rate is one for every 3.6 ABs. Ramos is one for every 3.3 ABs. Ramos would have 154 SOs if he had the same number of ABs at his current rate,
If you read my statement it says strikeout rates. Naturally Chapman has the most SOs. He has the most in every offensive category because he played nearly every game and has by far the most ABs. His SO rate is one for every 3.6 ABs. Ramos is one for every 3.3 ABs. Ramos would have 154 SOs if he had the same number of ABs at his current rate,

As I posted weeks ago, Chapman also sees fastballs in the zone more than any hitter in the NL. So he is seeing better pitches because pitchers dont fear him and he strikes out a lot. That is pretty telling.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
As I posted weeks ago, Chapman also sees fastballs in the zone more than any hitter in the NL. So he is seeing better pitches because pitchers dont fear him and he strikes out a lot. That is pretty telling.

He's not a middle of the order guy. He's a very good back end lineup option. Giants still searching for those true 3-4-5 guys.

Yes he does but still less than Ramos. I like Ramos and love what he did this year but his average has been steadily dropping since the all star break when he was around .300. I see so many Giants hitters striking out on high fastballs or worse taking a called 3rd strike down the middle. They need to change their entire team approach to hitting, especially with runner in scoring position. That probably means a new hitting coach.
Not gonna be surprised if Farhan is not fired because he signed Chapman to an extension.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Not gonna be surprised if Farhan is not fired because he signed Chapman to an extension.

I mean, he added a quality player for the long term. Schmitt was his most likely guy to take over 3B internally and he has not shown any real promise at the MLB level. He secured the position for the next few years, it's not the worst move. But as long as we all know, and hopefully he knows, that Chapman is not a middle order hitter... then I am fine with it.
I don't like the deal because its a six year deal. Overall he had a good year this year after a rusty start...but he will be pretty old the last two years of this deal. If he gets older and his numbers decline at all, or his defense isn't what we saw this year, its a horrible contract.

I would have been cool with 4 years. That would end at age 35. 6 years of .240 and 22 HRs isn't great, but likely it declines after a few years. What I do like about it is it shows players like playing in SF.

I bet we offered four years and his agent was like we are walking. I think we have to overpay for players until we build a consistent winner
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

I mean, he added a quality player for the long term. Schmitt was his most likely guy to take over 3B internally and he has not shown any real promise at the MLB level. He secured the position for the next few years, it's not the worst move. But as long as we all know, and hopefully he knows, that Chapman is not a middle order hitter... then I am fine with it.

The problem is they don't have a better alternative at this point. Chapman strikes out a lot but he also hits the ball hard. He leads in HRs and doubles. He also draws a lot of walks. I agree he would be a better 5 or 6 hitter but they don't have much choice right now. Farhan hasn't had much success in signing a high profile bat. We'll have to see what his plans are in the off season since it doesn't look like anyone in the minors is ready for that spot.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Sep 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM ]
6 more years of CHAP

1. Jung Hoo Lee CF
2. Tyler Fitzgerald SS
3. ??? RF
4. ??? 1B
5. Heliot Ramos LF
6. Matt Chapman 3B
8. Patrick Bailey C
9. ??? 2B

the best thing for this team would be for Marco to grab and hold down that 2B spot

How things have changed over the course of 6 months. LOL
Share 49ersWebzone