George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 136 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I'm basing the value on the idea that 1 of 105 Splash Hits cant be worth anything, logically. 105 isnt even counting the 61 that opposing players have hit. There have been legends who have hit the ball into the water, and those arent worth anything. So why would a Heliot Ramos ball be worth anything at all? Its worth far more to Ramos and the Giants than it would be in terms of value.

And by all accounts, Dave is an a**hole. The fact that he considers his hobby "work" speaks volumes of how he carries himself and what he thinks of himself. He is a nobody. He is on record saying that Ramos needs to "earn the ball" from him. He brings baseballs to the stadium to autograph for people. He claims to be a true fan but he makes everything about himself.

A family friend of ours knows him well, and says he is a really nice, genuine guy. I've spoken with him on social media DM's, and when I told him I had just taken my son to his first baseball game he sent him a splash foul ball from that game. Painting him as this greedy a**hole just because he doesn't want to give up a HR ball is ridiculous.

He's no different from any other passionate fan who puts in a ton of time and effort into supporting the team. People want to take pics with him and get his autograph.

Just because you don't see any value in the only righty splash hit ball doesn't mean its not significant or interesting to others.

Agree to disagree. Any fan that tells a player he needs to "earn the ball back" is a clown IMO. I am not the only one who thinks this way. You should check twitter.
Agree to disagree. Any fan that tells a player he needs to "earn the ball back" is a clown IMO. I am not the only one who thinks this way. You should check twitter.

The ball is now Dave's property, so he probably meant that Ramos would have to make him a generous offer to get it, which is totally reasonable.
Originally posted by Niners99:

The ball is now Dave's property, so he probably meant that Ramos would have to make him a generous offer to get it, which is totally reasonable.

No. The exact quote is...

"Heliot, this is his beginning season, and I hope he has a fantastic career. He could get this ball but he has to earn it. He has to play 10 years for the Giants, and become deeply loved, and when I pass away, then yeah...."

"....if Hunter Pence hit 10 balls into the cove, I'd give all 10 to him. But it's because Hunter has given so much to baseball fans. He has earned it. Heliot hasn't earned it yet."

LOL at calling a rookie season a beginning season. Also, Hunter wasn't a Giant for 10 years, so what the hell are you talking about?

Anyway, this has taken way too much time. I think he's a schmuck for how he behaves and has no business demanding a parking spot. You like him. We simply just won't agree.
No. The exact quote is...

"Heliot, this is his beginning season, and I hope he has a fantastic career. He could get this ball but he has to earn it. He has to play 10 years for the Giants, and become deeply loved, and when I pass away, then yeah...."

"....if Hunter Pence hit 10 balls into the cove, I'd give all 10 to him. But it's because Hunter has given so much to baseball fans. He has earned it. Heliot hasn't earned it yet."

LOL at calling a rookie season a beginning season. Also, Hunter wasn't a Giant for 10 years, so what the hell are you talking about?

Anyway, this has taken way too much time. I think he's a schmuck for how he behaves and has no business demanding a parking spot. You like him. We simply just won't agree.

Hes a fan mascot. Most sports teams have one. I don't understand why you feel any type of way about it. Most fan mascots are independently wealthy dudes who devote way too much time to their obsession with a team. Giving him a parking spot isn't a big deal. He promotes the team for free.

I think it was pretty obvious that he meant that if the player had been a Giants legend he would've given the ball back to him for free out of respect, but Ramos hasn't earned that status yet. He could've worded it better, but Im not seeing any rude behavior. You're acting like hes Banjo Man trolling around the tailgates and stealing BBQ and beer from fans.
Ever since we have been out of contention, yaz has been on fire.

Hopefully the giants don't fall for it
Small sample size, but last 12 games, Meckler over .500 with 4 homers(17 for 53)....Eldridge over .300 now.
Originally posted by DeepNinerValue:
Ever since we have been out of contention, yaz has been on fire.

Hopefully the giants don't fall for it

Maybe Yaz is one of the upcoming free agents Chapman was talking about wanting to play for the Giants.
I hope they keep Yaz next year as long as he doesn't cost too much. He would be a valuable backup that can ply all 3 OF positins really well. He's also a left handed bat that they could use against right handed pitching. They'll need at least 5 outfielders. Ramos and Lee are in left and center. Right field is still open. Who do they have that's better than Yaz. McCray might be the one if he works in the off season and improves his hitting. He has the defense and power. Matos is a big question mark. Unless they sign a free agent then this is what they have.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Small sample size, but last 12 games, Meckler over .500 with 4 homers(17 for 53)....Eldridge over .300 now.

Have you guys seen the Meckler reddit rookie card stuff and his cards on Ebay? Its hilarious.
Originally posted by Murphys1:

Maybe I'm just confused by what you meant, but how is 17 for 53 = to .500 batting average?

on his latest podcast, Kawakami thinks Z's gone and Posey takes on more responsibilities but not the GM position.
Originally posted by boast:
on his latest podcast, Kawakami thinks Z's gone and Posey takes on more responsibilities but not the GM position.

this is what I was suggesting yesterday. And man I would love it.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

yeah he said Z could go another year but FAs will know he's on the hot seat. and if the team starts 6-10 next year, he's gone so why wait?
Also, for the folks that watched the game last night. Birdsong pitched well and went deep. They brought in Miller late in the game to replace him and he got in a jam. Schmitt's defense saved a run in a crucial spot. Orioles get men on with 2 outs in a rally and thankfully Austin Slater came up and struck out like the clutch .280 hitter he isnt and killed the inning like he did as a giant.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Helping out is great, and I don't doubt for a second that he could do the actual job, but I worry that if he takes on too much of the decision making, and it doesn't go well, the fans will start criticizing him and grumbling.

I think you could easily argue that Posey is the most significant player in the history of San Francisco baseball because of the 3 titles. I would hate to see any of that legacy get mixed with "What the hell is Posey thinking with that move??"
Share 49ersWebzone