LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 220 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Isaid they would finish at .500 =- 2 games. Unfortunately I was right. One game better than last season so that's progress

well basically the whole thread said that except faitful. Just stating the obvious as you agree with his posts. he is never right.

I agree that getting a superstar doesn't guarantee a pennant as he pointed out. In fact the only times the Giants have won was when they had no superstars other than pitchers. If you remember even then they were underdogs in nearly every playoff series each year. I just hope Buster is capable of doing the job. Hopefully he can start by changing the culture, especially in the minor leagues.

Buster Posey wasnt a super star? lmao

Ok, I'm done.

I don't think he was. He was a very good player and one of the top catchers of his era but I don't put him in the superstar category. He wasn't a player on the level of Judge or Bonds or Ohtani. True superstars. He was a star no doubt. Just my opinion. Not a fact so it's neither true nor false. Superstar is a word that has no actual definition.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
Buster?

????

I hope he's just a figurehead like John Lynch

He is an executive like John Lynch.
I hope he is in charge of baseball operations.

That's his title. President of baseball operations. He certainly knows the game and probably has a good idea of what kind of team he wants. The qestion is will he be able to make it happen. Mainly will he be able to negotiate with agents and players and convince them to come here if that's what he chooses to do. Maybe he'll prefer just building the inor league system. We'll see. In any case it's a good PR hire and the timing was perfect. One day after another bad year instead of waiting a month to do it.
I don't think he was. He was a very good player and one of the top catchers of his era but I don't put him in the superstar category. He wasn't a player on the level of Judge or Bonds or Ohtani. True superstars. He was a star no doubt. Just my opinion. Not a fact so it's neither true nor false. Superstar is a word that has no actual definition.

a. your definition of superstar is way too limited. If its just Ohtani and Judge, hardly any team has one. Which is ridiculous.
b. Posey won every major award and got paid. MVP and HOFer. That is a superstar.
c. hard to take this seriously given your previous comments on Ohtani not dominating on the offensive side.
d. lol at C.
e. that is all.
f. lmao
Finally, it only took half a decade. Hopefully, Posey can guide the team back to what it was under Bochy and Sabean.
Not that it means much, but Snell liked the MLB's social media post about Buster becoming the Giants' POBO.
farewell Farhan i will miss your sense of humor on KNBR and in roster construction also

a. your definition of superstar is way too limited. If its just Ohtani and Judge, hardly any team has one. Which is ridiculous.
b. Posey won every major award and got paid. MVP and HOFer. That is a superstar.
c. hard to take this seriously given your previous comments on Ohtani not dominating on the offensive side.
d. lol at C.
e. that is all.
f. lmao

I think his position and not having his face exposed all the time makes it harder for catchers in general to be viewed as superstars.

i don't think posey ever got the national credit/media credit he deserved while playing either
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 30, 2024 at 3:51 PM ]

d. lol at C.
e. that is all.
f. lmao

Can I second everything you wrote! Buster Posey was certainly a superstar. He was an amazing leader, a tremendous defensive player who handled pitching staffs as well as anyone has, a guy who won a batting title and MVP, and the very best at his position. He will be in Cooperstown at some point. Id love to know how anyone who follows baseball and has any clue whatsoever doesnt think Buster was a superstar. Unbelievable
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Finally, it only took half a decade. Hopefully, Posey can guide the team back to what it was under Bochy and Sabean.

It wont happen right away. This FA class is pretty bad other overall and the Giants really arent close to contending. But I do think its a step in the right direction
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Zachary:
Giants have lost the last 14 home games I've gone to (went to the last A's/Giants in oakland and they won)
Going tomorrow

Bet wisely fellas

So essentially its your fault the Giants had a losing season.

15 in a row now

Originally posted by Niners99:
Giants have lost the last 14 home games I've gone to (went to the last A's/Giants in oakland and they won)
Going tomorrow

Bet wisely fellas

So essentially its your fault the Giants had a losing season.

15 in a row now

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Can I second everything you wrote! Buster Posey was certainly a superstar. He was an amazing leader, a tremendous defensive player who handled pitching staffs as well as anyone has, a guy who won a batting title and MVP, and the very best at his position. He will be in Cooperstown at some point. Id love to know how anyone who follows baseball and has any clue whatsoever doesnt think Buster was a superstar. Unbelievable

Yeah. And during his run when you saw MLB commercials, they always had Posey on them. He was a face of the game.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Yeah. And during his run when you saw MLB commercials, they always had Posey on them. He was a face of the game.

I never limited it to Judge and Ohtani. I wasn't going to list every player I considered a superstar. That term is just an opinion and it's more about the way the public perceives a player than a collection of numbers. With SF fans he's definitely a superstar but I'm not so sure with other fans. I think it's a term that is often overused but that's my opinion. There is no right or wrong with opinions. It's how I feel. If you think he's a superstar then fine. This is a little like the question of whether Brock Purdy is "elite" or a "franchise" QB. A lot of SF fans think he is but around the country he still isn't universally viewed in that category.

When I visited the HOF in Canton I saw a lot of players that I wouldn't consider all time greats. I think they should have a special room for the best of the best rather than lumping them together. Again it's just my opinion.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Oct 1, 2024 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
he was 10x better than kapler
it's just hard starting strong with 3/5s your rotation on the shelf, and Farhan doing his openers routine. remember than one guy Dalton Jefferies. he was a gas can. we had some real jokers out there early season and it cost us put us behind the 8 ball

I'm actually selling that big time. No real evidence to support that claim.
Anyway, I was critical when the 9ers hired Lynch because of the lack of exerience. But the one thing he did provide was a well respected and well known figure in the organization with a deep network. And that has been a major reason for his success - he gets a lot of deals done because of that reputation and standing in the league with other GM's and players.

This to me is that.

Buster Posey lacks experience but is extremely well respected in the baseball world and I'm sure he's got a ton of connections as well. He will be an attractant to potential super stars to come or to re-sign here which was ultimately the fatal flaw of farhan. We already saw this with his involvement in the re-signing of Chapman... the writing on the wall for Zaidi.
[ Edited by DeepNinerValue on Oct 1, 2024 at 9:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone