LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 230 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

The part that always got me under Farhan. You go get aging FAs with opt outs and then don't trade them.

As good as Snell is and as bad as this team was, he should have been traded to a contender. Even if you only get a few young bullpen arms and a utility IF.
I really hoped when the giants got Farhan they would rebuild how the Dodgers did(though maybe not as much) by using their payroll to get prospects and overpaid players. Instead it was halfway Oakland A's.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
The part that always got me under Farhan. You go get aging FAs with opt outs and then don't trade them.

As good as Snell is and as bad as this team was, he should have been traded to a contender. Even if you only get a few young bullpen arms and a utility IF.
I really hoped when the giants got Farhan they would rebuild how the Dodgers did(though maybe not as much) by using their payroll to get prospects and overpaid players. Instead it was halfway Oakland A's.

I agree that they should have traded Snell unless he hinted to them that he wants to stay in SF. I doubt it but who knows. It's going to be interesting to see how Posey approaches getting this team back into contention every year. I hope they can really rebuild their minor league teams and start getting legit talent that can make an impact. Signing a big name is fine for public relations but they need to get a consistent supply of young players. It's obvious that most big bats don't want to come here because it's so hard to hit HRs.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

He also added this home to be close again. https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/buster-posey-buys-lafayette-california-home/

99, you still owe me an apology, sir.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by JMC52:
Or maybe we don't pull Ortiz

pulling Ortiz was 100% the right move. Ortiz was no ace. his pitch count was 98. he just gave up back to back singles. there's no argument to leave him in, other than hindsight.

Ok so pulling Ortiz and out bp getting blown up wasn't the problem, got it

pulling Ortiz was 100% the right move. Ortiz was no ace. his pitch count was 98. he just gave up back to back singles. there's no argument to leave him in, other than hindsight.

jfc this is worse than complaining about the zack wheeler trade
Originally posted by DeepNinerValue:

No its not. The post is related to them saying they never won a WS with Bonds so you don't need a superstar. But the giants were up 3-2 with a 5 run lead when Dusty f**ked up. We have said many times on here he mismanaged the pitching rotation during that series and it cost a championship.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

No its not. The post is related to them saying they never won a WS with Bonds so you don't need a superstar. But the giants were up 3-2 with a 5 run lead when Dusty f**ked up. We have said many times on here he mismanaged the pitching rotation during that series and it cost a championship.
I concur. And both moves were f**king awful. But moving on...
No its not.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I agree that they should have traded Snell unless he hinted to them that he wants to stay in SF. I doubt it but who knows. It's going to be interesting to see how Posey approaches getting this team back into contention every year. I hope they can really rebuild their minor league teams and start getting legit talent that can make an impact. Signing a big name is fine for public relations but they need to get a consistent supply of young players. It's obvious that most big bats don't want to come here because it's so hard to hit HRs.

I am starting to believe this is BS. I get that it makes sense in theory. But if it was true, then you would see an abundance of star pitchers wanting to come here and that simply isnt happening either. We arent signing big bats for reasons that dont have to deal with the ballpark, IMO.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am starting to believe this is BS. I get that it makes sense in theory. But if it was true, then you would see an abundance of star pitchers wanting to come here and that simply isnt happening either. We arent signing big bats for reasons that dont have to deal with the ballpark, IMO.

If you look at money spent on FA pitchers vs FA hitters since Oracle opened, I bet its a stark difference that pitching vastly outweighs hitting in terms of money spent.

The ball park is big factor, dudes care about their numbers. It's not hard to figure out. It is what it is. Bring in the fences again.

Park Factor has them 27/32 (2 non trad parks) overall
and 30th in HRs.

It's the worst park to hit HRs in over the last 3 years.
[ Edited by DeepNinerValue on Oct 1, 2024 at 2:51 PM ]

sometimes the right move doesn't work out. happens all the time. you go in with pocket rockets and lose to deuce seven off suit. that happens. doesn't mean you played your hand wrong. and dusty has his ring all the same. so do we. we weren't meant to win that year. had we won that year it would have been asterisked.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I concur. And both moves were f**king awful. But moving on...

I have always said that Baker had two legitimate options:

1) Leave Ortiz in and let him try to pitch out of it.
2) Turn the game over to the bullpen prior to the inning starting (which would give Felix a clean start in the 7th, Worrell in the 8th and Nen in the 9th)

I just saw my buddy 49erFaithful6's post because it was part of this chain I quoted and SMFH. Ortiz was a horse. He went over 98 pitches in 26 of his 33 starts that season. He regularly went deep into games. Acting like 98 pitches was a lot for someone like Ortiz is absurd.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I have always said that Baker had two legitimate options:

1) Leave Ortiz in and let him try to pitch out of it.
2) Turn the game over to the bullpen prior to the inning starting (which would give Felix a clean start in the 7th, Worrell in the 8th and Nen in the 9th)

I just saw my buddy 49erFaithful6's post because it was part of this chain I quoted and SMFH. Ortiz was a horse. He went over 98 pitches in 26 of his 33 starts that season. He regularly went deep into games. Acting like 98 pitches was a lot for someone like Ortiz is absurd.

he 100% played it correct. you don't KO your own starter. you do that after he allows the back to back singles. the starter needs to keep traffic on the bases, if he wants to remain in the game. Ortiz knows this. his pitch count is nearing 100. no one questions this move at all when it was made. only looking back. i wouldn't change a thing.
Share 49ersWebzone