LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 226 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
LOL. You are still missing the point. I am not saying that park doesnt play a role in the big hitters not wanting to come here. I am sure it is a bit of a factor. But the point that you clearly missed is that I am saying it cant be THE reason. Because if the park was as big of a reason that it is deterring big bats from coming here, then pitchers should be lining up to pitch here.....and that isnt happening either. Obviously there are a ton of factors, and my personal belief is that the state of the team is the largest reason.

I have never claimed we are signing big named bats, so there is no need to ask "Show me a single big name hitter we have ever signed?" I am not claiming we are. I am claiming that IF the park is THE reason for it, then there would be evidence of the opposite (pitchers dying to pitch here).....and there isnt.

Hope that helps. Tried to dumb it down as much as possible so you could understand what I am saying.

now you want to argue semantically, how boring
Buster straight usurped Farhan lol

Told Greg Johnson that he wanted the job and he gave it to him.
Originally posted by DeepNinerValue:
LOL. You are still missing the point. I am not saying that park doesnt play a role in the big hitters not wanting to come here. I am sure it is a bit of a factor. But the point that you clearly missed is that I am saying it cant be THE reason. Because if the park was as big of a reason that it is deterring big bats from coming here, then pitchers should be lining up to pitch here.....and that isnt happening either. Obviously there are a ton of factors, and my personal belief is that the state of the team is the largest reason.

I have never claimed we are signing big named bats, so there is no need to ask "Show me a single big name hitter we have ever signed?" I am not claiming we are. I am claiming that IF the park is THE reason for it, then there would be evidence of the opposite (pitchers dying to pitch here).....and there isnt.

Hope that helps. Tried to dumb it down as much as possible so you could understand what I am saying.

now you want to argue semantically, how boring

It's literally been the argument I have been making from the jump. Its not my fault that you weren't understanding.
It's literally been the argument I have been making from the jump. Its not my fault that you weren't understanding.

You said youre starting to think it's bs that the reason power hitters dont sign here is bc of Oracle being bad HR park.

You're conflating that with the fact that "Big name pitchers" dont sign here. But they are mutually exclusive. Now you're saying "its not the only reason"...well duh.

Oracle is the worst park for HRs... that doesn't necessarily mean every single pitcher is going to be dying to sign here.
You said youre starting to think it's bs that the reason power hitters dont sign here is bc of Oracle being bad HR park.

You're conflating that with the fact that "Big name pitchers" dont sign here. But they are mutually exclusive. Now you're saying "its not the only reason"...well duh.

Oracle is the worst park for HRs... that doesn't necessarily mean every single pitcher is going to be dying to sign here.

it's the best park for HRs, i remember where i was when i first read that you can stand at home plate and hit home runs into the bay / pacific ocean effectively. we don't need to be Coors here. what are the Rocks doing with the top hitters park? what hitters are they landing man?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
it's the best park for HRs, i remember where i was when i first read that you can stand at home plate and hit home runs into the bay / pacific ocean effectively. we don't need to be Coors here. what are the Rocks doing with the top hitters park? what hitters are they landing man?

Rockies have been one of the worst teams in baseball for a long time, they've only had a handful of playoff teams. The Giants are a top 4 market team and a team with one of the richest histories in terms of star power, winning. We don't need Oracle to be coors field but a little closer to the average can't hurt.
[ Edited by DeepNinerValue on Oct 2, 2024 at 2:45 PM ]
Rockies have been one of the worst teams in baseball for a long time, they've only had a handful of playoff teams. The Giants are a top 4 market team and a team with one of the richest histories in terms of star power, winning. We don't need Oracle to be coors field but a little closer to the average can't hurt.

Oracle and Coors, the most extreme pitchers and hitters parks in modern history, being in the same division is kind of cool.

Both teams have tried to make modifications to balance it out a bit, but it hasn't really helped much.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Oracle and Coors, the most extreme pitchers and hitters parks in modern history, being in the same division is kind of cool.

Both teams have tried to make modifications to balance it out a bit, but it hasn't really helped much.

The differences in ballparks is why I always thought that fans and the media put way too much emphasis on hitting records. HRs, BA and extra base hits are all greatly influenced by where the games are played. Mays would have hit over 700 and maybe 800 HRs if he had played in hitter friendly parks.

Then you look at football and very few fans know the record for rushing yards, receiving yards or passing yards yet those games are all played on fairly even playing fields. Differences in turf and still some dome stadiums but the field is still 100 yards.

Right... may not be much more you can do without a dramatic modification. Only thing I would do is get rid of triples alley and make it after a certain heigh on the wall in right center be a home run.
[ Edited by DeepNinerValue on Oct 3, 2024 at 8:53 AM ]

Right... may not be much more you can do without a dramatic modification. Only thing I would do is get rid of triples alley and make it after a certain heigh on the wall in right center be a home run.

They actually did move the fence in triples alley. There are places with deeper fences. Fenway has a part in left center that's about 420 feet. The bigger problem at Oracle is the wall height. They could maybe lower the wall or like you said put a line that would signify a HR. The other issue is the wind currents which usually blow more to left field.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

They actually did move the fence in triples alley. There are places with deeper fences. Fenway has a part in left center that's about 420 feet. The bigger problem at Oracle is the wall height. They could maybe lower the wall or like you said put a line that would signify a HR. The other issue is the wind currents which usually blow more to left field.

The park is fine...the problem is roster construction

We should be fundamentally sound and able to manufacture runs.

We should have pitching, speed and defense as our top priorities with power as a bonus when we can find it.

We basically need to be like team Japan in the WBC (the team that wins the most for those who don't follow closely).

You don't see many balls get hit into deep Right Center anyways. The problem is the air density and wind patterns. Unless they had some sort of dehumidifier that could make the balls extra dry and travel further? MLB did juice the balls in 2019. It would essentially be the opposite of the balls being in the humidor in Denver.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

The park is fine...the problem is roster construction

We should be fundamentally sound and able to manufacture runs.

We should have pitching, speed and defense as our top priorities with power as a bonus when we can find it.

We basically need to be like team Japan in the WBC (the team that wins the most for those who don't follow closely).

That's true but people are saying we need to get power hitters and they don't want to come here. The park and weather are the reason. You're right that they should build this team around defense and speed along with strong pitching up and down the staff. If they keep pursuing power hitters they are probably missing some lower priced but valuable players.
That's true but people are saying we need to get power hitters and they don't want to come here. The park and weather are the reason. You're right that they should build this team around defense and speed along with strong pitching up and down the staff. If they keep pursuing power hitters they are probably missing some lower priced but valuable players.

I have no doubt thats what buster is going to do.

First priority is landing an elite defensive shortstop.
I have no doubt thats what buster is going to do.

First priority is landing an elite defensive shortstop.

ahmed gonna fax us the 1 page document, 'i'm back'
Share 49ersWebzone