There are 144 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

LOL Seager to Rangers for 10 yrs, 325 mil.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Any thoughts on Schwarber? He had a stretch there where he was Bonds reincarnate. Not sure if he fits the type of team we are trying to put together in the field.

I don't think he fits our scheme. He's useless in the OF now and is not an upgrade defensively over Belt. I doubt he'd want to come off the bench too. I think he's going to Miami anyways.
Players that are versatile seem to be the fit. He once was but he's Always lacked that quality defense and that's huge
Originally posted by Niners99:

So fkn silly. So between him and Semien they are shelling out $400 mil? Lol that is fkn hilarious!! Plus Seager with that injury bug. Good luck with that
Originally posted by DocMcstuffins:

So fkn silly. So between him and Semien they are shelling out $400 mil? Lol that is fkn hilarious!! Plus Seager with that injury bug. Good luck with that

wow that makes it even more funny
Any thoughts on Schwarber? He had a stretch there where he was Bonds reincarnate. Not sure if he fits the type of team we are trying to put together in the field.

I don't think he fits our scheme. He's useless in the OF now and is not an upgrade defensively over Belt. I doubt he'd want to come off the bench too. I think he's going to Miami anyways.
Players that are versatile seem to be the fit. He once was but he's Always lacked that quality defense and that's huge

One weird aspect with Schwarber is he was at one point playing catcher. Not sure if he still has that in his repertoire or at what level. At any rate if MLB goes both league DH...

One weird aspect with Schwarber is he was at one point playing catcher. Not sure if he still has that in his repertoire or at what level. At any rate if MLB goes both league DH...

Now if they do incorporate the DH then I think it would be worth a flyer on heck yes. He'd be a solid DH.

he doesn't play catcher anymore. He wasn't that good that's why he got moved out of the position. He's just a rough all around defender.

but for a DH role that is where he's best suited at and heck yes I'd take a shot at him in that role.
Hey guys at least the Dodgers are losing talent right and left,
granted losing Seager isn't much of a hit when you got Trey Turner but still it hurts. I'll take it.

let's steal Taylor from them too, it would be icing on the cake!
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Hey guys at least the Dodgers are losing talent right and left,
granted losing Seager isn't much of a hit when you got Trey Turner but still it hurts. I'll take it.

let's steal Taylor from them too, it would be icing on the cake!

I'd love him! He fits our makeup perfectly. Plus he'd only cost an extra me of the 4th rd comp pick. Do it!
The prophecy of Cobb + Webb is almost complete

Originally posted by Garce:

lol I sure hope we have more up our sleeves than that
Originally posted by Garce:

lol I sure hope we have more up our sleeves than that

Gausman had a low stock when we picked him up two years ago too. I'm fine with adding him.
Cobb had a 3.87 career ERA over 10 seasons in the AL..

Any chance we go for Kikuchi? Seems like he kinda turned a bit of a corner last year.
Cobb had a 3.87 career ERA over 10 seasons in the AL..

https://www.mlb.com/news/alex-cobb-giants-deal

The Giants are nearing an agreement with free-agent right-hander Alex Cobb, according to a report from MLB Network insider Jon Heyman on Monday night. The club has not confirmed the deal. San Francisco is in the process of rebuilding its rotation after starter Kevin Gausman agreed to a five-year deal with the Blue Jays on Sunday.

Cobb has been a solid starter throughout his 10-year career when healthy, but it's the "when healthy" part that may be cause for concern as he goes into his age-34 campaign in 2022. His most recent stint on the injured list was due to a right wrist injury and he was limited him to 18 starts last season, over which he posted a 3.76 ERA (119 ERA+) for the Angels.

A fourth-round Draft pick of the Rays in 2006, Cobb made his MLB debut with Tampa Bay in May 2011. The right-hander pitched well over nine starts that year, finishing with a 3.42 ERA. He struggled in his first full season in '12, to the tune of a 4.03 ERA in 23 starts, but that was a precursor to a pair of strong seasons in 2013-14, over which he turned in a 2.82 ERA (134 ERA+) over 49 starts.

Cobb missed the entire 2015 season and most of the '16 campaign recovering from Tommy John surgery. He pitched well in '17, which would be his final year with the Rays, posting a 3.66 ERA over 29 starts. That offseason, he signed a four-year, $57 million contract with the Orioles.

Cobb's tenure with Baltimore was marked by injury and struggles -- he made 41 starts for the Orioles from 2018-20, posting a 5.10 ERA. He was traded to the Angels prior to the '21 season, reuniting him with his former manager with Tampa Bay, Joe Maddon.

While he was sidelined for a good chunk of the season due to injury, Cobb performed well when on the mound and had a career-high strikeout rate of 25 percent (his previous high was 23.1 percent in 2013). He was also in the 94th percentile among qualified pitchers in barrel rate per Statcast, giving up a barrel on just 4.2 percent of batted balls against him in '21.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now we need one more starter.
Share 49ersWebzone