LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 210 users in the forums

2021-2022 17 TIME WORLD CHAMPION Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Probably the worst they've played since deadline. Need to play smarter in 2nd half. Grizzlies as expected are playing with lot of energy and emotion. Lakers need to
play a lot better to have a shot at this game.

I didnt watch any of the first half but its hard to believe the Lakers cant beat a Memphis team without Morant, Brandon Clarke, and Steven Adams

Yea…played poorly and Memphis played like a team that didn't want to lose two home games to begin the playoffs. Lakers could have ended the series today but they played like the 7th seed.
Lebron and Rui are the only ones that came to play. Everybody else…….

Probably the worst they've played since deadline. Need to play smarter in 2nd half. Grizzlies as expected are playing with lot of energy and emotion. Lakers need to

I didnt watch any of the first half but its hard to believe the Lakers cant beat a Memphis team without Morant, Brandon Clarke, and Steven Adams

Yea…played poorly and Memphis played like a team that didn't want to lose two home games to begin the playoffs. Lakers could have ended the series today but they played like the 7th seed.

Grizzlies play better without Morant.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Naah I'm not doing this - nor is this true. This is some young warriors fans talk. Memphis played with desperation and Lakers didn't. Sometimes it's hard to fake desperation. I feel pretty good in saying - if Lakers had lost game 1 - they would have put a can of whoop ass on Memphis today without Morant. Lakers didn't play like they badly needed this game…and personally that's not a good thing either bc you're adding unnecessary minutes on the bodies of Lebron and AD who have been injury prone last 2 seasons.

But it is what it is - Memphis played hard and Lakers didn't. I fully expect Lakers to play hard in game 3 & 4. If they lose - I don't think it will be bc of lack of desperation.
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 19, 2023 at 10:55 PM ]

Naah I'm not doing this - nor is this true. This is some young warriors fans talk. Memphis played with desperation and Lakers didn't. Sometimes it's hard to fake desperation. I feel pretty good in saying - if Lakers had lost game 1 - they would have put a can of whoop ass on Memphis today without Morant. Lakers didn't play like they badly needed this game…and personally that's not a good thing either bc you're adding unnecessary minutes on the bodies of Lebron and AD who have been injury prone last 2 seasons.

But it is what it is - Memphis played hard and Lakers didn't. I fully expect Lakers to play hard in game 3 & 4. If they lose - I don't think it will be bc of lack of desperation.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not a Warriors fan. I'm simply stating (whether you agree or not is your opinion) that I believe the Grizzlies play a better brand of team basketball when Morant is off the floor. Their record without him will support this.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not a Warriors fan. I'm simply stating (whether you agree or not is your opinion) that I believe the Grizzlies play a better brand of team basketball when Morant is off the floor. Their record without him will support this.

Oh I know you're not warriors fan. I've seen warriors fans say it last year when Morant was hurt - and I think it's silly talk - no offense. Grizzlies were 1-2 in playoffs last year without Morant - so I don't think their record supports this.

What you're saying is maybe true in regular season - I think it's absolutely not true in the playoffs. I don't think they played particularly well this season without Morant - I don't know their record but I watched their games and they looked like a mid team. I could be wrong.

Regardless - Without Morant - I think Grizzlies will lose this series against healthy Bron and AD. With Morant - I believe they're slight favorites even after the split.
Oh I know you're not warriors fan. I've seen warriors fans say it last year when Morant was hurt - and I think it's silly talk - no offense. Grizzlies were 1-2 in playoffs last year without Morant - so I don't think their record supports this.

What you're saying is maybe true in regular season - I think it's absolutely not true in the playoffs. I don't think they played particularly well this season without Morant - I don't know their record but I watched their games and they looked like a mid team. I could be wrong.

Regardless - Without Morant - I think Grizzlies will lose this series against healthy Bron and AD. With Morant - I believe they're slight favorites even after the split.

Well I guess we will see. I agree it's hard to imagine them being better without him but I watched a lot of their games down the stretch when they don't have Morant to rely on they play well off of each other. They are 8-3 in their last 11 without him.

I am rooting for the Lakers in this series and think with or without Morant they got a great shot at upsetting the Grizzlies. I think it'll be Lakers in 6.
Ad back to being invisible

11-10 without Morant this season.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

So basically a play-in team without Ja this season. And, even if they had a great record - imo reg. season is totally different than playoffs. Playoffs - refs let you be physical and defenses are better and you have to be able to win games in the half court. I'd much rather have a guy like Morant who can break down the defense all my himself & score 35+pts if needed. Also - Tyus is the best backup PG in the game. Now, he has to start and that weakens your bench as well.

That's why every team is trying to trade for a star bc they can win games all by themselves in the playoffs. That's why teams put up with Kyrie's bs because they know in the playoffs he can make 10+ shots against perfect defense.

True but 8-3 in the last 11.

So basically a play-in team without Ja this season. And, even if they had a great record - imo reg. season is totally different than playoffs. Playoffs - refs let you be physical and defenses are better and you have to be able to win games in the half court. I'd much rather have a guy like Morant who can break down the defense all my himself & score 35+pts if needed. Also - Tyus is the best backup PG in the game. Now, he has to start and that weakens your bench as well.

That's why every team is trying to trade for a star bc they can win games all by themselves in the playoffs. That's why teams put up with Kyrie's bs because they know in the playoffs he can make 10+ shots against perfect defense.

It depends on the situation. The Suns for example traded a lot of their bench depth for KD and we will see if it works out in the end for them. The teams that ultimately win a title always have 2-3 key bench contributors. There's only been a handful of guys in NBA history who could single handedly carry a team.

Anyways, I think a sore wrist Ja playing may ultimately be beneficial to the Lakers but they should win this series either way.

20-5 the year before.

Look, I dont think the Grizzlies are "better" without him. They lack a star that can takeover games without him. However, I do believe the style of basketball without him is better. That brand of basketball can sometimes result in the role players playing better and being in better rhythm because they are more involved. So at times, it can absolutely look like they are better without him. Last night being one of those occasions.

I agree with 4ML though that this is definitely more of a regular season thing. You need stars to win in the playoffs.

It depends on the situation. The Suns for example traded a lot of their bench depth for KD and we will see if it works out in the end for them. The teams that ultimately win a title always have 2-3 key bench contributors. There's only been a handful of guys in NBA history who could single handedly carry a team.

Anyways, I think a sore wrist Ja playing may ultimately be beneficial to the Lakers but they should win this series either way.

Agree with you that you need couple of solid players off the bench and there are only a handful of guys who can carry a team. I meant - for a game or two - there have been lots of instances a player can take over and win a game or two in a series pretty much all by themselves and Ja can def. do that.

Suns traded Bridges and Cam (plus future picks) for Durant. Honestly - I'd take that any day. I don't think Suns were going anywhere if they had Bridges and Cam instead of just Durant. I don't know if Suns will win it all or not - they haven't played together for more than 7-8 games and that matters a lot - but I do that trade 100 out of 100 times.

Do agree that if Ja is playing when he shouldn't - that can be beneficial to Lakers...but that's quite diff. from saying Grizzlies are a better without Ja.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

20-5 the year before.

Look, I dont think the Grizzlies are "better" without him. They lack a star that can takeover games without him. However, I do believe the style of basketball without him is better. That brand of basketball can sometimes result in the role players playing better and being in better rhythm because they are more involved. So at times, it can absolutely look like they are better without him. Last night being one of those occasions.

I agree with 4ML though that this is definitely more of a regular season thing. You need stars to win in the playoffs.

20-5 the year before is damn good. They probably had healthy Brandon Clark & Adams for some of those games. But even then - playoffs is a diff. animal and you can game plan to stop all those guys but a player like Ja - he can still give you 30.

I do think Grizzlies are one of those teams that play super hard in the reg. season and win a bunch of games just bc a bunch of other good teams are pacing. Being super young helps so much in reg. season. See Thunder & Jazz this past season.

That changes in the playoffs when everyone more of less is giving close to full effort in games that are super crucial for both teams. Also - they're a very good defensive team and they don't lose that identity with Ja out. So, playing hard and playing great defense can win you some games in the playoffs too.

I am not at all discounting the benefit of having good role players. Lakers are prime example of that this season. Warriors from this year vs. last year is also an example though I do feel Warriors still have decent role players - they just don't seem to have the same team chemistry. They were dealing with a tough Wiggins situation over the last 30 games or so.

That's why Bucks are my favorites - provided GIannis is fully healthy. I think they have best set of role players alongside GIannis - Jrue - Middleton.
Share 49ersWebzone