LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 240 users in the forums

***Official NBA 2024-25 Season Thread***

Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Celtics are the NBA version of the 49ers, great in the regular season, and will make deep playoff runs. But falls short when the chips are down. I don't expect this year to be any different.

Pretty good comp.

The Celtics of old were once great and won basically every time they made the Championship round. Now they are on a losing streak in the Finals.

As the Celtics are the Yankees of basketball I can't stand them. It's never a bad thing when the lose.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Celtics are the NBA version of the 49ers, great in the regular season, and will make deep playoff runs. But falls short when the chips are down. I don't expect this year to be any different.

Pretty good comp.

The Celtics of old were once great and won basically every time they made the Championship round. Now they are on a losing streak in the Finals.

As the Celtics are the Yankees of basketball I can't stand them. It's never a bad thing when the lose.

49ers losing streak in SB: 3 straight losses
Celtics losing streak in Finals: 1

If they make it this season to the Finals and lose, yeah they are the 49ers of the NBA. But tbh that is the Heat. 0 for 2 in the Finals in the past 5 years.

But this is a vastly different team from the last few years. Porzingis and Holiday for Smart, Brogdon, and the Williamses was blatant robbery. Tatum needs to back up his proclamation that he is the best player on the best team and by right the league. He was one of the main reasons the Celtics couldnt get over the hump in their last dance. He couldnt assert himself when it was needed.

We will see how this season plays out. And here is to an injury free rest of season for all.
[ Edited by 49erKing on Mar 6, 2024 at 10:40 AM ]
Celtics-Nuggets is going to be a fun Finals.
Originally posted by 49erKing:

Pretty good comp.

49ers losing streak in SB: 3 straight losses
Celtics losing streak in Finals: 1

If they make it this season to the Finals and lose, yeah they are the 49ers of the NBA. But tbh that is the Heat. 0 for 2 in the Finals in the past 5 years.

But this is a vastly different team from the last few years. Porzingis and Holiday for Smart, Brogdon, and the Williamses was blatant robbery. Tatum needs to back up his proclamation that he is the best player on the best team and by right the league. He was one of the main reasons the Celtics couldnt get over the hump in their last dance. He couldnt assert himself when it was needed.

We will see how this season plays out. And here is to an injury free rest of season for all.

Celtics have lost 2 since their last title, 2010 and 2022
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Mar 6, 2024 at 11:30 AM ]

Dam we are going back that far even if the coach/gm/players are entirely different eh? Anyway, if any NBA team right now mirrors the 49ers, it is the Heat more than the Celtics

Dam we are going back that far even if the coach/gm/players are entirely different eh? Anyway, if any NBA team right now mirrors the 49ers, it is the Heat more than the Celtics

Of course we're going back that far, and even further, that's the only way the Celtics/49ers comparison makes any sense.

Of course we're going back that far, and even further, that's the only way the Celtics/49ers comparison makes any sense.

Don't let your hate interfere with your thinking. With that said, by your logic, I am going with the Heat as a more appropriate comparison. They've lost three straight NBA Finals, not two.

Not really. 49ers are one of, if not the most talented team in the league who were in championship or bust this season, just like the Celtics.

Besides losing 3 straight championship rounds, not much comparisons you can do with the Heat, they are overachievers who wouldn't be as good without Erik Spoelstra and Playoff Jimmy, and unlike the Niners who you can make an argument that they could've easily won those 3 super bowls, Miami was completely outmatched in their 3 losses.
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Mar 6, 2024 at 1:08 PM ]
Celtics if they stay healthy should have no issues winning it all.
Dang

Flailrod33 will not be happy

Don't let your hate interfere with your thinking. With that said, by your logic, I am going with the Heat as a more appropriate comparison. They've lost three straight NBA Finals, not two.

No hate at all from me and nothing in my posts comes close to suggesting as much. Nothing but love. I may not like the Celtics, but I do respect their achievements.

But to your other point, ... Except that the Heat never attained a level of success remotely close to the Celtics in their entire franchise history, ever. Not even when LeBron took his talents to South Beach. So you did not use my logic, you used your own. Again, no hate what-so-ever, just cold unemotional analysis.

If there is an NFL equivalent it could be considered the 80's and 90's 49ers. 49ers undefeated in 5 Super Bowls during that era, now on a 3 SB losing streak.

50's/60's Celtics won 8 titles in a row and 11 out of 13 with one loss in the Finals during that time. Now they are on a 2 Finals' losing streak.

If one wants to argue that's not a perfect comparison, of course it isn't, the NFL and the NBA are completely different animals. But it still works.

Two great franchises in their respective sports had incredible perfect or near perfect sustained runs in their past and now are finding it difficult to get to the top again when they get so close.

That said, I think the Celtics are closer to getting to the top or over it in their sport than our 49ers, and not because their season is ongoing and the 49ers' just ended.

Larry Brown on Reggie Miller in 1997.

lol fuking bum
Share 49ersWebzone